The Campus Credit Union building had an unusual beginning. It was originally constructed as a small two-bedroom residence that served as an engineering research facility following World War II. Called the Coleman Research House, it was designed to test heating and air conditioning equipment for use in small housing units that typified the post-war housing boom.
Later it was home to the Center for Urban Studies until that entity was moved to Lindquist Hall in 1977.
The Campus Credit Union, founded in May 1952, then occupied the building, which was remodeled and expanded in 1998.
Campus Credit Union was established as a full-service, not-for-profit financial institution. Its original purpose was to promote thrift by receiving savings from members, to make loans to members and to invest savings of its members. The purpose today remains the same.