Grace Wilkie Hall opened as a women's dormitory in 1953. It replaced a three-story wooden structure, Holyoke Hall, that had been constructed in 1915 two blocks south of the campus. It is a Prairie-style building designed by the Wichita firm of Thomas and Harris. The cafeteria wing, called the Grace Wilkie Annex, was expanded in 1958. Following the purchase of Fairmount Towers for student housing in 1977, Grace Wilkie Hall was remodeled into offices for the Division of Student Affairs, which took occupancy in 1980. The remodeling project included the addition of an elevator.
The building is named for Grace Wilkie, a Wichita native, who joined Fairmount College as head of the home economics department in 1912. She was appointed dean of women in 1921 and continued in that capacity in the Municipal University of Wichita until she retired in 1953. She spent 1919-1920 academic year in France with the American Committee for Devastated France.