Eleven finalists chosen in Distinguished Scholarship Invitational
Wichita State University has chosen the top 11 finalists in the annual Distinguished Scholarship Invitational (DSI).
• Saajan Bhakta, Wichita, Kan., Wichita High School Northwest
• MaryAshton Floyd, Fort Worth, Texas, Paschal High School
• Julia Hilts, Andover, Kan., Andover High School
• Lauren Kater, Benton, Kan., Trinity Academy
• Shannan Mehler, Wichita, Kan., Classical School of Wichita
• Kelsey Pressnall, Bel Aire, Kan., Wichita High School East
• Matthew Showalter, Lincoln, Neb., Lincoln High School
• Caleb Smith, Wellsville, Kan., Wellsville High School
• Nathan Templon, Wichita, Kan., Wichita Collegiate School
• Megan Walthers, Towanda, Kan., Circle High School
• Whitney Wilson, Carbondale, Kan., Santa Fe Trail High School
The students participated in one of the largest competitions in DSI history, with 359 students competing.
Two of the finalists will be selected as recipients of the Harry Gore Memorial $48,000 scholarship, one of the largest undergraduate scholarships in Kansas.
To be invited to participate in the invitational, students had to have a 24 or higher ACT score and a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA.
Once invited, students complete a packet of information, including essays and letters of recommendation and compete in an on-campus leadership competition. Finalists will be back on campus Wednesday, Jan. 25, for final interviews.
The announcement of the Gore Scholars will be at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 26, in the Marcus Welcome Center. All finalists will receive competitive scholarship packages to attend WSU in the fall.