Two stand-out Shockers to be named Man and Woman of the Year
The finalists for the 2013 Man and Woman of the Year at Wichita State University have been selected, with the winners to be announced at an awards banquet on Saturday, Oct. 26.
The annual scholarship competition is part of Shocktoberfest, a week-long celebration of Shocker spirit.
There were a record number of applicants for both the men and women this year. The task of narrowing the contestants to the top five males and top four females fell to a judging panel made up of WSU faculty and staff.
“It was very difficult to judge by comparing them one to another,” said judge Carla Mann, senior administrative assistant in the Student Government Association. “They were all excellent candidates. Regardless of who wins, they should all be proud of themselves for their hard work, their dedication to their academics and the community and their pride in WSU and being a Shocker.”
The winners will each receive a $650 scholarship, and the remaining finalists will receive $300 scholarships.
Man and Woman of the Year finalists:
- Drew Bonner, Wichita, is a junior majoring in biology. Bonner is a Dean’s Scholar who graduated from Maize High School. He has held leadership positions with the Student Ambassador Society and Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity.
- Matthew Conklin, Winfield, Kan., is a junior double-majoring in economics and history. Conklin is a graduate of Winfield High School and is on the Dean’s Honor Roll. He serves as president of the Interfraternity Council, treasurer of the Student Government Association and treasurer of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.
- Roy Moye III, Raytown, Mo., is a senior majoring in aerospace engineering. Moye is a graduate of Raytown South High School and has held leadership positions within the National Society of Black Engineers. He is on the Dean’s List and is a recipient of the WSU Multicultural Academic Achievement Certificate.
- Isaac Roehm, Hutchinson, Kan., is a senior majoring in electrical engineering. Roehm is a graduate of Hutchinson High School and has held leadership positions within Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Order of Omega, WSU College of Engineering Wallace Scholars, Shockerthon and the WSU Mortar Board Society.
- Chris Seiler, Ellsworth, Kan., is a senior majoring in journalism. Seiler is a graduate of Ellsworth High School and a letter winner for the WSU Track and Field team. He is a recipient of the Shocker Scholar Athlete, Athletic Director Honor Roll and the Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean’s Honor Roll.
- Lauren Durano, Andover, Kan., is a senior double-majoring in economics and marketing. Durano is a graduate of Andover High School and holds leadership positions in Delta Gamma Sorority, Barton International Group and Order of Omega. She is a recipient of the Gamma Phi Beta Greek Unity Award and is on the Dean’s Honor Roll.
- Melissa Heinitz, Emporia, Kan., is a senior majoring in exercise science. Heinitz is a graduate of Emporia High School and is on the College of Education Dean’s Honor Roll. She holds leadership positions in Delta Gamma Fraternity and the Exercise Science Student Organization.
- Amber Hopkins, Marquette, Kan., is a senior double majoring in psychology and criminal justice. Hopkins is a graduate of Smoky Valley High School and serves as president of the Panhellenic Association. She is a recipient of the Greek Woman of the Year Award, the Gamma Phi Beta Greek Unity Award and has been on the Dean’s Honor Roll.
- Lauren Kater, Benton, Kan., is a junior majoring in communication sciences and disorders. Kater is a graduate of Wichita Trinity Academy and holds a leadership position within the WSU Students’ Speech-Language-Hearing Association. She has been on the College of Fine Arts and College of Health Professions dean’s lists.
The finalists will be presented to the student body at the Shocktoberfest Songfest and Awards Night at 7 p.m., Monday, Oct. 28, at the Eugene M. Hughes Metropolitan Complex.
For more information about the Man and Woman of the Year Competition, contact Nick Messing at firstname.lastname@example.org.