All branches of the U.S. Armed Forces were represented at the Nov. 25, 1948, dedication of Veterans Field, now Cessna Stadium. Wichita State will honor that event with a Veterans Day celebration starting at 10:45 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 11.
 
Photo: Special Collections and University Archives, Wichita State University Libraries
Wichita State to celebrate Veterans Field on Veterans Day
Nov 1, 2010 10:00 AM | Print
Share

Before Cessna Stadium was built on the Wichita State University campus, Veterans Field was where the Shockers played football.

This year on Veterans Day, WSU plans to hold a Veterans Field celebration in Cessna Stadium at 10:45 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 11.
In case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held in the Champions Club in Charles Koch Arena.

Veterans from throughout Sedgwick County and south-central Kansas are encouraged to attend this special ceremony in their honor. Special reserved parking for the event will be available on the northwest side of Cessna Stadium. Everyone is asked to enter on the west side of Cessna Stadium.

The program will include the presentation of colors, rededication of the original Veterans Field plaque, moment of silence, the singing of the national anthem, recognition of veterans, and remarks by several people, including WSU President Don Beggs. A flyover also is planned, weather permitting.

There are at least eight known Wichita State retirees/employees who are veterans of World War II.

Background
Fairmount College, now Wichita State University, located athletic facilities next to 17th Street at what was then the southeast corner of campus. A football field was surveyed and tennis courts constructed. In 1909, a wooden gymnasium called "The Barn" was built. The first permanent structure, Memorial (later Henrion) Gymnasium, was erected as a tribute to Fairmounters who gave their lives in World War I.

Eventually the gymnasium was expanded and permanent bleachers were constructed for the football field. The entrance arches for "U of W Stadium" still stand today as part of the Henrion Hall art complex.

The university began looking for a new stadium site, and the obvious spot was the corner of 21st and Hillside. Plans were developed for a "U" shaped concrete stadium, open on the south and partially recessed in the ground. President William Jardine obtained $52,502 of federal Works Progress Administration funds, and ground was broken on Jan. 6, 1941.

By September 1942, however, with the bowl excavated, foundations poured and a quarter of the west bleachers completed, work was halted by World War II.

After the war, the university reactivated the project as a memorial to the 17,800 men and women from Sedgwick County who served during the war, building it in sections as funds became available.

Veterans Field was completed for the 1948 football season, seating 15,000 with facilities for the press, concessions stands and locker rooms.

On Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 25, the stands were packed, and even a loss to the University of Nevada did not detract from the halftime program when Air Force, Army, Navy and Marine veterans unveiled the plaque. The stadium was dedicated to "members of the armed forces from Sedgwick County who served our nation with honor and distinction in World War II."

This story has been tagged Events. See all RSS feeds here
Created on Nov 1, 2010 10:00 AM; Last modified on Nov 2, 2010 3:14 PM
#
HEADLINES RSS Feed
WSU makes case for special funding priorities
Revisions made to parking plan
High School Guest Program offering $500 scholarships
Collaboration to benefit WSU students
WSU camps introduce youth to engineering
Wichita has 'secret source' of IT talent
WSU School of Nursing benefits from grant
Multi-disciplinary field study
WSU Foundation finishes strong year
WSU director to speak on racial profiling
WSU research uses all types of people
Shuttle system adds new stops
Permits to be required to park on main campus
WSU names new director of AEGD program
WSU reorganizes admin structure
WSU, WuShock logo at IndyCar Series
WSU hosting ACT Prep Workshop
New Health Professions dean honored
Wichita State welcomes FarmHouse fraternity to campus
WSU grad overcame tragedy to earn her degree
Flint Hills Media Project covers Butler County
WSU to host forums for returning adults
'Forty Years/Forty Stories' at WSU museum
© 1995-2014 Wichita State University. All rights reserved.
Valid HTML 401