The following is an excerpt from a story about former Wichita State University President Nathan Morrison and a bookshelf made specially for him more than 100 years ago. The story appeared in the April 14 issue of The Wichita Eagle. 

Morrison bookcase brings piece of history back to Wichita State
Apr 17, 2014 3:05 PM | Print
Share

Long ago, it was nicknamed the "Morrison Monster."

It was big, bulky, weighed several hundred pounds and symbolized one of Nathan Morrison's greatest achievements – the creation of a college library in Wichita.

After Morrison died in 1907 and his widow moved from Wichita in 1924, the bookcase traveled the nation as it was passed down from one Morrison family member to another. From Wichita to Ohio to Washington, D.C., then back to Ohio. From there on to California, New Jersey, back to California and then to New York, Omaha, Bethesda, Md., and on to Columbia, S.C.

Last year, the Morrison family decided to donate the "Morrison Monster" to the college that originated it.

Read full story.

This story has been tagged Faculty/Staff, History. See all RSS feeds here
#
HEADLINES RSS Feed
Temporary office relocations
Wichita State police lend helping hand
WSU makes case for special funding priorities
Revisions made to parking plan
High School Guest Program offering $500 scholarships
Collaboration to benefit WSU students
WSU camps introduce youth to engineering
WSU Foundation welcomes two new leaders
Wichita has 'secret source' of IT talent
WSU School of Nursing benefits from grant
Multi-disciplinary field study
WSU Foundation finishes strong year
WSU director to speak on racial profiling
WSU research uses all types of people
Shuttle system adds new stops
Permits to be required to park on main campus
WSU names new director of AEGD program
WSU reorganizes admin structure
WSU, WuShock logo at IndyCar Series
WSU hosting ACT Prep Workshop
Wichita State welcomes FarmHouse fraternity to campus
WSU grad overcame tragedy to earn her degree
WSU to host forums for returning adults
'Forty Years/Forty Stories' at WSU museum
© 1995-2014 Wichita State University. All rights reserved.
Valid HTML 401