District Leadership State License Program
The Superintendency/School District Leadership Program allows an individual to obtain the license to lead a school district in the state of Kansas. Past coursework/experiences can possible reduce the number or courses required to complete the program. This program allows enrolled candidates to complete the coursework online or in the traditional face-to-face format.
This program provides an opportunity for potential candidates who currently hold a Kansas professional building leadership license to participate in advanced graduate training that leads to positions as a Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, or Special Education Director. Throughout the state of Kansas, there are many completers of the Wichita State program who are employed in these professional roles. In addition to the prescribed coursework of five seminars and a year-long internship working with a practicing professional, candidates must take and submit a passing score on the School Superintendent Assessment (SSA). The SSA is based on standards adopted by the Kansas State Department of Education which include knowledge, performance, and dispositions necessary for a district-level school leadership position.
The Superintendency/School District Leadership Program consists of 21 (unless reduced by the program committee) graduate hours. The courses include:
- EL 884 Leadership in Vision, Collaboration, Planning (3)
- EL 953 Financial Support of Education (3)
- EL 956 Human Services Leadership (3)
- EL 963 Policy and Politics in Educational Leadership (3)
- EL 964 Administration and Supervision of Special Education (3)
- EL 992 Superintendency/Internship (6)
Once a candidate successfully completes all course work and program requirements, the licensure office at Wichita State will assist the candidate with their request for licensure.
When applying for admission to the Superintendency/School District Leadership Program you must submit to the Graduate School:
- A completed graduate school application
- Official transcript from a regional accredited university where the applicant received a master’s degree in Educational Building Leadership is required
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 for graduate coursework leading to the master’s degree
You must also submit the following items to the Department:
- Resume that indicates three years of employment/experience in an accredited school system.
- Three recommendations from supervisors and/or professional peers of which at least one must be from a supervisor who attests to the prospective candidate's potential as a leader and who shows promise for leading a school district or special education unit.
- Evidence of a professional building leadership license.
- Professional Goal Statement: A 500 word professional goal statement that presents the prospective candidate's leadership experience (formal/informal; professional/non-professional). The applicant must be specific as to his/her leadership experience detailing the goals and outcomes of the applicant's leadership experience. The statement will be analyzed for evidence of leadership ability and writing skill.
You can view the progress of your admission status by visiting wichita.edu/onestop and click on Track My Progress. For information on how you will be notified of your admission decision, please click here.
Background Check Requirement
Upon admission and prior to their first semester, all students admitted to the Superintendency/School District Leadership program must clear a criminal background check. Click here for instructions.