• Who can evaluate my transcript and let me know what I need in order to be licensed?

    If you already have a Bachelors Degree, please complete a Transcript Analysis Request form and fax it to Stacie Ogborn, the Licensure Specialist, with copies of transcripts. You may also send request to Stacie Ogborn - 1845 Fairmount, Box 131, Wichita, KS 67260-0131.

If you graduated with a Bachelors Degree from Wichita State, you may call for an appointment with an advisor without asking for an analysis.

  • If I have a Bachelors Degree in a related secondary field, but haven't taken education courses, can I be a teacher?

    If your degree is in a related area, you may be eligible to enter the Transition to Teaching Program. To learn more about the requirements call 978-6850.
  • If I have a Bachelors Degree in an unrelated field, what is the quickest route for me to become a teacher for Early Childhood?

    The Early Childhood Residency Program may be just for you. It involves students working in classrooms as paraprofessionals while working on their graduate degree and initial licensure.
  • If I am a licensed teacher, what do I need to do to teach other areas?

    Any licensed teacher may add any middle level or secondary endorsement with a passing score on the appropriate content assessment. Elementary and Early Childhood Unified endorsements cannot be added without going through the specific program. Education Support Services (ESS) provide a list of recommended classes for each endorsement area.
  • I am licensed to teach in another state. How can I be licensed in Kansas?

    You may be able to teach under a provisional license while completing requirements for Kansas. Please contact Stacie Ogborn in Education Support Services - (316) 978-3300.
  • I have allowed my Kansas license to lapse. What do I need to do for renewal?

    You will need 8 college credits within the past 6 years if you have a Bachelors Degree and
    6 college credits if you hold a Masters. Credits must be 300 level or above and chosen within education or your specific area of endorsement or licensure. You must contact the district office of your employment and work with the Professional Development Council (PDS) to devise a plan of study. This plan of study must accompany your transcript when applying for renewal.

    You may use accredited teaching experience, recent college credits, and in-service credits for your renewal. Renewals can be processed directly with KSDE in Topeka. Telephone: 785-296-8010.

    You may also contact Stacie Ogborn with any specific questions concerning renewal.
  • I want to add Special Education to my degree. Can I get a provisional license, and what courses do I need in order to complete licensure?

    You can receive a provisional license if you have a valid teaching certificate. In order to complete the certification process for Special Education, you must be admitted into the Graduate school where you will complete 12 to 14 hours of core courses. You will need to apply for a recommendation for provisional license
    Call Stacie Ogborn for additional information at 316-978-3300.
  • Who do I contact to order a transcript for my renewal application?

    Please contact the WSU Registrar at (316) 978-3055 for the transcript request line.
  • Where do I go to find out what tests I need to take for licensure?

    For information on Kansas praxis Testing Requirements, go to http://www.ets.org/praxis/ks/requirements. Additional information on Kansas Teacher Licensure and Accreditation (TLA) can be found on the KSDE website at: http://www.ksde.org/Agency/DivisionofLearningServices/TeacherLicensureandAccreditation.aspx