The SNVC is comprised of four rounds, the Application to Compete, Ten-Page Business Plan, Trade Show, and Finals. Insights from the judges aid the students in the development of key skills needed to further advance the commercialization of their idea.
Application to Compete and 3 Minute Video:
Screening Round 1: Ten-Page Business Plan
- Screening Round One also takes place online. Teams will submit their ten-page business plan to Startup Rounds. Each of the business plans will be sent to judges deemed competent in the areas related to the venture concepts being reviewed. Teams advancing to the Trade Show round on Friday, April 26 will be notified via email. Teams that do not advance will also be contacted via email.
- Detailed Judging Criteria: Ten-Page Business Plan
Trade Show Round:
- The Trade Show is noted as the most exciting round of the competition and takes place on Friday, April 26. Teams are encouraged to set up intricate displays and pitch the team's business concept to judges. The judges will be comprised of two sectors: student judges and business leaders. All judges are given $10,000 "Shocker Dollars" to invest in a portfolio of teams that they consider "most viable" - most likely to succeed in the marketplace. At the end of the event, investment dollars will be tallied. The six teams with the most investments will advance to the Finals. Advancing teams will be notified via email.
- Directors Award for Trade Show Excellence: Awarded to the Trade Show team that executes the most solid presentation. Presentation includes a display that accurately reflects and accentuates your product or service and is accompanied by a pitch that clearly conveys your business and provokes engagement. The team that is awarded the Director’s Award may qualify for additional awards if they advance to the final round of the competition.
- People's Choice Award: The team with the most investments by student judges will be awarded the People's Choice Award at the Award Ceremony on Friday, May 3. The team receiving this award will be notified via email also. A team can receive the People's Choice Award and also advance to the Finals if they are one of the top six teams.
- The Final Round is open to viewing by all competition participants, judges, faculty, students, and the public. Each team will have 14 minutes to present and 8 minutes for Q&A from the judges panel. After all presentations are finished, judges will deliberate and by process of consensus select the award recipients. Awards will be granted at the Awards Ceremony in the KFBF Innovation Hub of Devlin Hall at 5 p.m.
- Final presentations on Friday, May 3:
- Presentations: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m., Devlin Hall, 107
- Deliberation: 4 - 4:45 p.m.
- Award Ceremony & Reception: 4 - 5:30 p.m., Devlin Hall
- Winners announced at 5 p.m.