WSU Controls & Optimization Research and Education (CORE) Laboratory
*** Open: 1 GRA Position (starting Spring 2020)
*** Open: 1 RA Position (Hourly, starting Fall 2019)
- 07-2019: Mr. Pardhasai Chadalavada is a NASA Future Investigator! His proposal entitled "Continuous Monitoring of Hurricanes Using RaIn CubeSats" has been selected by NASA FINESST Program Earth Science Division. Prof. Dutta is the PI on the proposal. NASA FINESST program funded only 120 of the submitted 966 proposals across all divisions. The project duration is 3 years. Congratulations Pardhasai!
- 05-2019: Profs. Schwartz (Philosophy), Solomey (Physics) and Dutta were awarded a grant from Kansas Space Grant Consortium to organize a 1-day symposium to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Apollo landing and 60 years of NASA missions. More details on the symposim will follow.
- 05-2019: Ms. Prathyusha Karampudi defended her M.S. thesis on determining de-orbit times for on-orbit debris removal using ground-based laser ablation. Congratulations Prathyusha!
04-2019: Under the leadership of Prof. Nick Solomey (Physics), a team of researchers from Wichita State University, South Dakota State University and NASA Marshall won the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts (NIAC) Phase-II grant award. The WSU CORE laboratory will support the work on orbit analysis, mission design and preliminary cost analysis for the proposed solar neutrino mission.
11-2018: Suwat Sreesawet completes his Ph.D. by defending his dissertation on the optimal orbit-raising and attitude control of all-electric satellites. Congrats Dr. Suwat Sreesawet!
09-2018: Full-length article by Mr. Sreesawet and Prof. Dutta was published in the AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics. The paper is available at https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.G003319
02-2018: Prof. Dutta was selected as an 2017 Outstanding Reviewer by the Journal of Aerospace Engineering published by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
05-2017: Mr. Sreesawet received Dora Wallace Hodgson Outstanding Graduate Student Award from WSU Graduate School for his research and academic excellence. Congratulations Suwat!
02-2017: Mr. Sreesawet received John V. Breakwell Graduate Student Travel Award from the American Astronautical Society for his paper "A Novel Methodology for Fast and Robust Computation of Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising Trajectories," presented at the AIAA/AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting in San Antonio, TX in February 2017. Congratulations Suwat!
12-2016: Prof. Dutta was named an Excellent Reviewer for the AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (JGCD) between Oct. 1, 2015 – Sept. 30, 2016.
CORE Research Thrust Areas
- Optimal control of nonlinear systems
- Uncertainty propagation for nonlinear systems
- Optimization of multi-vehicle maneuvers
Atri Dutta, Assistant Professor
CORE Students (to be updated)
|Pardha Sai Chadalavada||Ph.D.||Design of CubeSat constellation network for hurricane monitoring|
|Akshay Reddy Tummala||Ph.D.||Nano-satellite mission design|
|Prathyusha Karampudi||M.S. (T)||De-orbit times for on-orbit debris subjected to laser ablation|
|Garba Subedi||M.S. (T)||Adaptive satellite attitude control using neural network|
|Lakshay Arora||M.S. (T)||Reinforcement learning applied to orbit-raising problem for all-electric satellites|
|Tanzimul Farabi||M.S. (T)||Reinforcement learning applied to mission design for all-electric satellites|
|Brina Wallace||B.S.||Attitude determination|
T = Thesis, P = Project
CORE Honors and Awards
- John V. Breakwell Student Travel award from the American Astronautical Society, won by Suwat Sreesawet for his paper at AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference, 2017.
- Dora Wallace Hodgson Outstanding Graduate Student Award from WSU Graduate School, won by Suwat Sreesawet, 2017.
- Kansas Capitol Graduate Research Symposium award won by Alex Foster, 2015.
- WSU Engineering Open House awards (AIAA and AE) won jointly by Hooloomann Hommes Ramdial and Eric LaRue, 2016.
- WSU Honors College Undergraduate Student Research Grant won by Samadini Weerasekara Arachchilage (2017), Ehiremen Nathaniel Omoarebun (2015).
- WSU Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Forum second-place award won by Nathan Templon, 2014.
CORE Alumni (To be updated)
- Biraj Gupta, M.S. 2017, working at Cessna, Textron Aviation.
- Tyler Olson, M.S. 2016, working at Harris Corporation.
- Christina Wilson, B.S. 2015, pursuing her graduate studies at Georgia Tech.
- Alex Foster, B.S. 2014, working at Bombardier Aerospace.
- Sainath Vijayan, working at Bastion Technologies.
CORE Graduate Research Assistantship
If you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. degree at WSU and looking for a research assistantship position at CORE laboratory, please e-mail the principal investigator mentioning your research interests and attaching your curriculum vitae.
CORE Funded Projects
- PI, Multi-objective optimization framework for spacecraft low-thrust orbit-raising, Kansas NASA-EPSCOR Program Seed Research Initiation grant, 2014-2015.
- Co-PI, Technology Development for a Deep Space Dark Matter Search Experiment, WSU Multidisciplinary Research Project Award, 2016.
- PI, Incorporating Intrepreneurial Mindset Learning in 'Introduction to Space Dynamics', Brenton Myers Innovation in Engineering Education Award, 2017.
- PI, Experimental Test-Bed for Spacecraft Attitude Maneuver Detection, WSU Award for Research/Creative Projects in Summer, 2017.
13) A. Dutta, J. Kasdin, E. Choueiri, and P. Francken, "Minimizing Proton Displacement Damage Dose During Electric Orbit Raising of Satellites", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 39, No. 4 (2016), pp. 963-969.
12) A. Dutta, "Computational Performance of GRASP Algorithms for Spacecraft Multi-Rendezvous Mission Planning," AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Long Beach CA, Sep 2016.
11) A. Dutta, S. Vijayan, T. Olson, "Deployment of High Power Class All-Electric Satellites in the Geosynchronous Equatorial Orbit," AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Long Beach CA, Sep 2016.
10) B. Du, Y. Zhao, A. Dutta, J. Yu, X. Chen, “Optimal scheduling of multi-spacecraft refueling based on cooperative maneuver,” Advances in Space Research, Vol 55, No 12, pp. 2808–2819.
9) A. Dutta, “GRASP Algorithm for Multi-Rendezvous Mission Planning for Optimized Trip Times,” AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Vail CO, Aug 2015.
8) S. Sreesawet, V. Pappu, A. Dutta, J. Steck, “Neural Networks Based Adaptive Controller for Attitude Control of All-Electric Satellites,” AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Vail CO, Aug 2015.
7) S. Sreesawet, A. Dutta, “Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising Trajectories using Eclipse Constraints,” AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
6) S. Vijayan, A. Dutta, “Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising using Non-Singular Orbital Elements
Quotient Approach,” AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
5) A. Foster, A. Dutta, “Analytical Model of Van Allen Proton Radiation Flux for Low-Thrust
Optimization Solvers,” AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
4) A. Dutta, “A Greedy Random Adaptive Search Procedure for Multi-Rendezvous Mission
AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
3) Atri Dutta, "Optimal Low-Thrust Orbital Transfers for Rendezvous Between Active Spacecraft with Return Position Constraints," Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee FL, Jan 5-9, 2015.
2) Atri Dutta, Suwat Sreesawet, Sai Vijayan and Alex Foster, "On the Design of the Power and Propulsion Subsystem of All-Electric Telecommunication Satellites," International Communication Satellite Systems Conference, AIAA Space Forum, San Diego CA, Aug 4-8, 2014.
1) A. Dutta, P. Libraro, J. Kasdin, E. Choueiri, P. Fracken, “Minimum-Fuel Electric Orbit-Raising of Telecommunication Satellites Subject to Time and Radiation Damage Constraints,” American Control Conference, Portland OR, 2014.
CORE Thesis and Dissertations
1. S. Sreesawet, "A New Algorithm to Generate Low-Thrust Spacecraft Trajectories," Dec 2014.
CORE Presentations (without publications)
- A. Dutta, "Algorithms for Optimal Scheduling of Multiple Spacecraft Maneuvers," International Conference and Exposition on Satellite, Aug 2015. (Invited)
- S. Chakraborty, "Investigating Rover Operations as Part of an Experimental Demonstration of Rover-CubeSat Collaboration," WSU Symposium on Graduate Research and Scholarly Projects, Apr 2015.
- A. Foster, S. Sreesawet, S. Vijayan, A. Dutta, "Methods for Optimizing Trajectories of All-Electric Satellites for Multiple Variables and Launch Conditions," presented by Alexander Foster at Kansas Capitol Graduate Research Symposium, Topeka KS, Feb 2015, won award.
- Sainath Vijayan, "Low Thrust Orbit Transfer Trajectory Optimization," WSU Symposium on Graduate Research and Scholarly Projects, Apr 2015.
- Eric LaRue and Hooloomann Ramdial,