Controls and Optimization Research and Education (CORE) Laboratory
- Congratulations Suwat for winning the John V. Breakwell award from the American Astronautical Society for his paper "A Novel Methodology for Fast and Robust Computation of Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising Trajectories" to be presented at the AIAA/AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting in San Antonio, TX in February 2017.
- Congratulations Eric and Hommes on winning two awards (AE and AIAA first place) at the WSU Engineering Open House. (May 2016)
- Development of new mathematical techniques and computational tools for the control and optimization of complex aerospace systems,
- Development of experimental setup to demonstrate key technologies related to the control of next generation of aerospace systems,
- Provision of state-of-the-art learning experience for WSU students interested in pursuing careers in the field of dynamics and control.
CORE Research Thrust Areas
- Optimal control of nonlinear systems
- Multi-agent systems
- Mathematical programming
- Space applications
Atri Dutta, Principal Investigator
|Suwat Sreesawet||Ph.D.||Spacecraft control|
|Akshay Reddy Tummala||Ph.D.||Mission design, Nano-satellite|
|Pardha Sai Chadalavada||Ph.D.||Spacecraft control|
|Prathyusha Karampudi||M.S. (T)||On-orbit debris removal|
|Zac Matson||M.S. (P)||Low-thrust trajectories|
|Lakshay Arora||M.S. (T)||Space dynamics|
|Nathan Lipsinki||B.S.||Mission design for CubeSat networks|
T = Thesis, P = Project
CORE Honors and Awards
- John V. Breakwell Student Travel award from the American Astronautical Society, won by Suwat Sreesawet for his paper at AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference, 2017.
- Dora Wallace Hodgson Outstanding Graduate Student Award from WSU Graduate School, won by Suwat Sreesawet, 2017.
- Kansas Capitol Graduate Research Symposium award won by Alex Foster, 2015.
- WSU Engineering Open House awards (AIAA and AE) won jointly by Hooloomann Hommes Ramdial and Eric LaRue, 2016.
- WSU Honors College Undergraduate Student Research Grant won by Samadini Weerasekara Arachchilage (2017), Ehiremen Nathaniel Omoarebun (2015).
- WSU Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Forum second-place award won by Nathan Templon, 2014.
- Biraj Gupta, M.S. 2017, working at Cessna, Textron Aviation.
- Tyler Olson, M.S. 2016, working at Harris Corporation.
- Christina Wilson, B.S. 2015, pursuing her graduate studies at Georgia Tech.
- Alex Foster, B.S. 2014, working at Bombardier Aerospace.
- Sainath Vijayan, working at Bastion Technologies.
CORE Graduate Research Assistantship
If you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. degree at WSU and looking for a research assistantship position at CORE laboratory, please e-mail the principal investigator mentioning your research interests and attaching your curriculum vitae.
CORE Funded Projects
- PI, Multi-objective optimization framework for spacecraft low-thrust orbit-raising, Kansas NASA-EPSCOR Program Seed Research Initiation grant, 2014-2015.
- Co-PI, Technology Development for a Deep Space Dark Matter Search Experiment, WSU Multidisciplinary Research Project Award, 2016.
- PI, Incorporating Intrepreneurial Mindset Learning in 'Introduction to Space Dynamics', Brenton Myers Innovation in Engineering Education Award, 2017.
- PI, Experimental Test-Bed for Spacecraft Attitude Maneuver Detection, WSU Award for Research/Creative Projects in Summer, 2017.
13) A. Dutta, J. Kasdin, E. Choueiri, and P. Francken, "Minimizing Proton Displacement Damage Dose During Electric Orbit Raising of Satellites", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 39, No. 4 (2016), pp. 963-969.
12) A. Dutta, "Computational Performance of GRASP Algorithms for Spacecraft Multi-Rendezvous Mission Planning," AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Long Beach CA, Sep 2016.
11) A. Dutta, S. Vijayan, T. Olson, "Deployment of High Power Class All-Electric Satellites in the Geosynchronous Equatorial Orbit," AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Long Beach CA, Sep 2016.
10) B. Du, Y. Zhao, A. Dutta, J. Yu, X. Chen, “Optimal scheduling of multi-spacecraft refueling based on cooperative maneuver,” Advances in Space Research, Vol 55, No 12, pp. 2808–2819.
9) A. Dutta, “GRASP Algorithm for Multi-Rendezvous Mission Planning for Optimized Trip Times,” AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Vail CO, Aug 2015.
8) S. Sreesawet, V. Pappu, A. Dutta, J. Steck, “Neural Networks Based Adaptive Controller for Attitude Control of All-Electric Satellites,” AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Vail CO, Aug 2015.
7) S. Sreesawet, A. Dutta, “Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising Trajectories using Eclipse Constraints,” AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
6) S. Vijayan, A. Dutta, “Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising using Non-Singular Orbital Elements
Quotient Approach,” AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
5) A. Foster, A. Dutta, “Analytical Model of Van Allen Proton Radiation Flux for Low-Thrust
Optimization Solvers,” AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
4) A. Dutta, “A Greedy Random Adaptive Search Procedure for Multi-Rendezvous Mission
AAS Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Williamsburg VA, 2015.
3) Atri Dutta, "Optimal Low-Thrust Orbital Transfers for Rendezvous Between Active Spacecraft with Return Position Constraints," Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee FL, Jan 5-9, 2015.
2) Atri Dutta, Suwat Sreesawet, Sai Vijayan and Alex Foster, "On the Design of the Power and Propulsion Subsystem of All-Electric Telecommunication Satellites," International Communication Satellite Systems Conference, AIAA Space Forum, San Diego CA, Aug 4-8, 2014.
1) A. Dutta, P. Libraro, J. Kasdin, E. Choueiri, P. Fracken, “Minimum-Fuel Electric Orbit-Raising of Telecommunication Satellites Subject to Time and Radiation Damage Constraints,” American Control Conference, Portland OR, 2014.
CORE Thesis and Dissertations
1. S. Sreesawet, "A New Algorithm to Generate Low-Thrust Spacecraft Trajectories," Dec 2014.
CORE Presentations (without publications)
- A. Dutta, "Algorithms for Optimal Scheduling of Multiple Spacecraft Maneuvers," International Conference and Exposition on Satellite, Aug 2015. (Invited)
- S. Chakraborty, "Investigating Rover Operations as Part of an Experimental Demonstration of Rover-CubeSat Collaboration," WSU Symposium on Graduate Research and Scholarly Projects, Apr 2015.
- A. Foster, S. Sreesawet, S. Vijayan, A. Dutta, "Methods for Optimizing Trajectories of All-Electric Satellites for Multiple Variables and Launch Conditions," presented by Alexander Foster at Kansas Capitol Graduate Research Symposium, Topeka KS, Feb 2015, won award.
- Sainath Vijayan, "Low Thrust Orbit Transfer Trajectory Optimization," WSU Symposium on Graduate Research and Scholarly Projects, Apr 2015.
- Eric LaRue and Hooloomann Ramdial,