Wallace Invitational for Scholarships in Engineering (WISE)
This competition, and the Wallace Scholarship, is made possible by the generosity of the late Dwane and Velma Wallace. They left a legacy at the WSU College of Engineering spanning 40 years. Read more about the Wallace legacy.
When is WISE?
The 2018 Wallace Invitational for Scholarships in Engineering will be on November 16, 2018.
What is WISE?
The Wallace Invitational for Scholarships in Engineering (WISE) is an exciting competition held each fall for high school seniors interested in studying engineering at WSU. Ten (10) $28,000 scholarships are awarded based on GPA, ACT Math and ACT Composite scores, and results of the hands-on competition consisting of a group design challenge and a written essay. Come join the College of Engineering for the WISE competition, and have an opportunity to visit with engineering faculty and students and take a tour of our innovative laboratories and facilities.
What can I expect at WISE?
The WISE event runs from approximately 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The schedule generally includes the scholarship competition elements (group design challenge and written essay), a luncheon, and engineering facility tours. As the date gets closer, a more detailed agenda will be provided here, but for now, you can generally expect the day to look like this:
- CHALLENGING COMPETITION At the competition, students are judged on their team work, critical thinking, and reasoning skills. The main event is a hands-on team design challenge with an individual essay.
- LUNCH WITH FACULTY Our faculty want to meet you! Professors from every department and program will be on hand to answer questions you have about degrees, careers, internships, and more.
- PARENT SESSION Parents/guests will have a special session during the competition. They will hear from several student service departments on campus.
- GUIDED TOURS All guests are invited to tour our engineering facilities and laboratories. Tours generally start after lunch and will continue until about 2:00 p.m.
How do I apply?
High school seniors interested in competing must complete the following:
- Apply to WSU. Submit all WSU application materials by October 15, 2018. Apply to WSU at www.wichita.edu/apply.
- Declare a major in engineering. We offer aerospace, biomedical engineering, computer, computer science, electrical, industrial, manufacturing, mechanical, engineering technology or undecided engineering. View a complete list of engineering degrees.
- Complete and submit the WISE application by November 1. Before beginning the WISE application, please note this application requires you to upload your resume in a PDF format. We encourage you to complete your resume prior to beginning your application
Achieve one of the following:
- Have a minimum high school 3.50 GPA (unweighted) or
- Have a minimum 27 ACT Composite score or 1280 SAT score or
- Have a top 10% class rank (as of the junior year of high school.).
Questions? Contact Jason Bosch at (316) 978-6314 or email@example.com.
Helpful Information for WISE
Fall 2017 WISE Parent & Guest Information Session Presentations
Below are the presentations from the WISE Parent & Guest Information Session on November 1, 2017. Click on each department to download a PDF version of the PowerPoint presentation given at the session.