ACE Mentor Information & Application
Accelerate your success. Create your future. Engage in your college community.
ACE Mentoring Program is an opportunity for freshman engineering majors to gain skills, resources, and support to help them ace their first semester at Wichita State. This unique opportunity is open to incoming freshmen who desire to accelerate their success, create their future, and engage in their college community. A key part of the program is the mentorship freshmen recieve from more experienced students in the College of Engineering.
Approximately 25 current students will be selected to become ACE Mentors, and approximately 50 incoming freshmen will be selected for membership. The goal is for each coach to be paired, on average, with two freshmen members. Mentors will provide guidance, support, and mentoring through one-on-one outreach throughout the Fall 2019 semester.
The application period has closed for Fall 2019 mentors. If you have questions about the ACE Mentoring Program, contact Jacob Mendez, student engagement coordinator, at email@example.com.
Mentors who successfully meet all mentor requirements may be eligible for these benefits:
- A $200 stipend at the end of the fall semester for successful completion of all mentor requirements.
- Opportunity to receive Engineer of 2020 Leadership credit for successful completion of all mentor requirements. Please note: To receive 2020 credit, you must get preliminary approval from your major department for this program to count for leadership credit, and you must complete the additional steps required as outlined on the 2020 approval form. Learn more about 2020 here.
All mentor selected for the program will receive these benefits:
- Leadership training.
- Great resume-builder.
- Free WSU College of Engineering swag.
- Free food and social events.
- Network and build connections within the college.
We are seeking mentors who exemplify these qualities and characteristics.
- Sincere desire to help new students transition to Wichita State.
- Good listener who demonstrates empathy, care, and concern for the well-being of others.
- Commitment to being an active and engaged resource, support, and mentor for your students.
- Positive role model - someone who is mature, responsible, ethical, and demonstrates professionalism and integrity.
- Takes initiative and demonstrates persistence toward achieving goals.
- Optimistic and realistic - someone who will be open and honest with his/her students, and also displays positivity and optimism.
- Knowledgeable about College of Engineering and campus-wide resources and willing to be proactive in helping connect students with these resources.
To be eligible to apply to be an ACE Mentor, you must:
- Have completed at least one full year at Wichita State by the start of the Fall 2019 semester.
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Be able to meet all program requirements and attend all required trainings and events.
Mentors must be able to commit to the following for the Fall 2019 semester.
- Mentor Retreat & Kick-Off Party: Mentors must attend a full day training and kick-off party on Saturday, August 24. The retreat will start in the morning and run through late afternoon. It will be mentors only and will include teambuilders, mentor training, and free lunch. The kick-off party will be on Saturday evening and will include the new incoming freshmen members of ACE.
- Mentor Trainings: Mentors will participate in three leadership training sessions throughout the fall semester.
- Social Events: Throughout the semester there will be 3-4 social events for all mentors and mentees to come together for fun and networking. Mentors are expected to attend social events and encourage their mentees to attend with them.
- Monthly Meet-Ups: Mentors must meet one-on-one with each of their mentees at least once per month during the fall semester. These meet-ups provide the opportunity for mentor and mentees to develop helpful relationships and provide individual guidance and support to each mentee.
- Mentor Logs: Mentors will submit monthly logs detailing their interactions with each of their mentees in the given month.
All eligible College of Engineering majors are invited to apply below by April 21. From the applications received, we will identify the top candidates who will be invited to interview for a mentor position. We many not be able to offer an interview to all applicants. Mentors will be selected by May 3 from the pool of candidates we interview.
- April 21: Application Deadline
- April 24: Noficication of selection for interview
- April 30 - May 2: Mentor interviews
- May 3: Mentor offers made
- May 6: Deadline to accept/decline mentor position