Graduate teaching assistantships are awarded to qualified students. Recipients are required to teach 8 to 10 hours per week.Graduate teaching assistants are eligble for a tuition waiver. Graduate research fellowships are also available.
Admission as a full-standing student requires completion of 24 semester hours in biological sciences and 15 semester hours in chemistry, an overall grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale for the most recent 60 semester hours completed, a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate biological science course, a one page statement of purpose that describes the student’s interests in biology, three letters of reference from science faculty members and satisfactory TOEFL scores from students whose native language is not English (79 or higher is required). GRE scores are not required. Students not meeting course requirements for admission to full-standing may be admitted on a provisional basis until the needed undergraduate courses are completed. Application deadlines are March 1 for fall semester admission and October 1 (September 1 for international applicants) for spring semester admission. Completed application forms and two official transcripts of all previous academic work must be submitted to the graduate school by these deadlines. Letters of reference and the statement of purpose must also be received by these deadlines.
1. 30 Total Credit Hours
These 30 total credit hours include:
- 2 hours Biol 797
- ≤10 hours Biol 890
- 2 hours Biol 891 (must be enrolled in Bio 891 in the semester in which you defend your thesis)
- ≥16 hours any courses 500-999
- Up to 9 of these 16+ hours may be taken outside of the Biology Department
- 60% of total credit hours (18 hours) must be 700-level or higher
- ≥16 credit of the 30 credit hours must be earned from the Department of Biological Sciences (see note below concerning transfer credits).
2. Plan of study submitted to and approved by graduate school before completion of
12 credit hours.
3. Committee approval of presentation and oral defense of written thesis prospectus and thesis based on original research
Note: A maximum of 6 hours credit can be transferred from other institutions.
1. 33 Total Credit Hours
These 33 total credit hours include:
- 2 hours Biol 797
- 4-6 hours Biol 781, Biol 781N OR Bio 890
- 25-27 hours any courses 500-999
- Up to 9 of these 25-27 hours may be taken outside of the Biology Department
- 60% of total credit hours (20 hours) must be 700-level or higher
- > 16 credits of the total credit hours must be earned from the Department of Biological Sciences (see note below concerning transfer credits)
- GPA of 3.0 or above on all coursework
2. Plan of study submitted to and approved by graduate school before completion of 12 credit hours.
3. “Capstone” project with documented committee approval of written research/coop/intern summary paper
Note: A maximum of 6 hours credit can be transferred from other institutions. Degree must be completed within 6 years.
Correspondence and Information
Dr. Leland Russell
Department of Biological Sciences
Wichita State University
1845 N. Fairmount #26
Wichita, Kansas 67260-0026
Phone: (316) 978-6798
Fax: (316) 978-6091