ESC undergraduate advising

If you are a communication premajor or are considering a degree in communication and need advising, please call, email or come by the ESC Advising Center and talk with Eric Wilson or Sandy Sipes.

If you are a declared communication major (especially juniors and seniors), you should communicate with your ESC faculty adviser within your emphasis area. Faculty advisers are an important part of the Elliott School experience, as they will help you choose the best electives for your interests, as well as help with networking and internship possibilities. Call or stop by the ESC office to find out who your faculty adviser is if you're not sure.

Advising Office Hours

The ESC advising office is staffed during the following hours this semester. Incoming freshmen and other communication pre-majors should make appointments with the advising staff. While the Advising Center staff will help any ESC student during the following hours, majors should seek advising appointments with their individual faculty advisers within their emphasis areas.

Eric Wilson
Monday – 9:30-11:30, 1-5
Friday – 9:30-11:30
(316) 978-5465

Sandy Sipes
Tuesday – 2-4
Wednesday – 9-4
Thursday – 2-3
(316) 978-5465

How do I become a Communication major?

  • Pass COMM 130: Communication and Society
  • Pass the Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation (GSP) test

How do I take the GSP test?

  • The GSP test is given in COMM 130
    • It is recommended that students take the GSP first during COMM 130.
  • The test is also offered in the ESC main office (Elliott 102) Monday through Thursday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please note, occasionally the office is closed for lunch and testing is not available. It is a advisable to call ahead before coming to take the GSP.
    • A passing score on the GSP is a 35 out of 50.
    • Students are allowed to take it twice a semester until they pass the test.

How do I enroll in COMM 301:Writing for the Mass Audience?

You must have electronic authorization to enroll in COMM 301.
First you must have met the following requirements:

  • C or better in ENG 101, ENG 102 and COMM 130
  • Passed the GSP test
  • If you've met the requirements, you must see Bill Molash (or another office staff member) in the ESC main office (Elliott 102) for electronic authorization to enroll in a specific section of COMM 301. The sections generally fill quickly, so enroll as soon as possible.

Who is my adviser?

There are three answers to this question:

1. If you are a pre-communication major, your advisers are: Eric Wilson and Sandy Sipes.

2. If you have met the requirements to be a Communication major, you will be assigned a faculty adviser within your emphasis area, who will serve as your adviser until you graduate. You should meet with your adviser each semester. To find out who your adviser is, contact Bill Molash in the main office: 102 Elliott Hall, (316) 978-6069.

3. You also have a general education adviser. This person can answer questions concerning general education requirements and what you still need in these areas. Please make an appointment to see your general education adviser in addition to your ESC adviser.

For more specific information on your emphasis area and major requirements, download a PDF copy of: Majoring In Communication in Four Years - Advising Tips for Schedule Building.