ESC Undergraduate

If you need advising, your best bet is to come by the ESC Welcome Center.

The Elliott School does not offer full-time advising and hours are extremely limited from mid-May until early August. As such, responses from advisers and appointments may be delayed during the summer.

For summer communication advising, please contact or The Liberal Arts & Sciences Advising Center is back in its regular location in Grace Wilkie Hall and will be available to assist students daily during the summer. Call 978-3700 for appointments.

How do I become a Communication major?

  • Pass COMM 130: Communication and Society
  • Pass the Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation (GSP) test
    Given in COMM 130 (It is recommended that students take the GSP first during COMM 130)
    Offered in the ESC main office (Elliott 102) Monday through Thursday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please note, occasionally the office is closed for lunch and testing is not available. It is a advisable to call ahead before coming to take the GSP.

    A passing score on the GSP is a 35 out of 50. Students are allowed to take it twice a semester until they pass the test.

How do I enroll in COMM 301:Writing for the Mass Audience?

1. You must have electronic authorization to enroll in COMM 301. First you must have met the following requirements:

  • C or better in ENG 101, ENG 102 and either COMM 130 or 190
  • Passed the GSP test

2. If you've met the requirements, you must see Bill Molash (or another office staff member) in the ESC main office (Elliott 102) for electronic authorization to enroll in a specific section of COMM 301. The sections generally fill quickly, so enroll as soon as possible.

Who is my adviser?

There are three answers to this question:

1. If you are a pre-communication major, your advisers are:
Eric Wilson and Sandy Sipes
(316) 978-3185

2. If you have met the requirements to be a communication major, you will be assigned a major adviser, who will serve as your adviser until you graduate. You should meet with your adviser each semester. To find out who your adviser is, contact Bill Molash in the main office: 102 Elliott Hall, (316) 978-3185.

3. You also have a general education adviser. This person can answer questions concerning general education requirements and what you still need in these areas. Please make an appointment to see your general education adviser in addition to your ESC adviser.
Liberal Arts and Sciences Advising Center
115 Grace Wilkie Hall
(316) 978-3700

For more specific information on your emphasis area and major requirements, download a PDF copy of Majoring In Communication in Four Years - Advising Tips for Schedule Building.