Certificate in Spanish for the Professions
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I have to take the prerequisites for Business Spanish?
A: It is possible to test out of both SPAN 526 and SPAN 325. You will need to contact our Undergraduate Advisor, Gail Burkett to schedule the corresponding exams (Gail.Burkett@wichita.edu).

Q: Is the certificate compatible with my major?
A: The Certificate in Spanish for the Professions can be combined with any major offered at WSU. Students who choose to pursue a double major may also participate in the certificate program.

Q: What is the difference between an academic certificate and a professional certification?
A: An Academic Certificate will prepare you in your path towards certification but will not make you “certified.” To get certified, you need to pass the certification exams offered either by the state or by national professional organizations. For interpreting there are two certification paths, one for legal/court interpreters and another one for medical interpreters. Translators get certified by ATA (American Translators Association) and you can find more information on their website.

Q: Who is eligible to participate in the certificate program?
A: In order to declare the certificate you must be either a current student at WSU, or be admitted (or readmitted) as an undergraduate student at WSU. Applications and full instructions are available from the Office of Admissions at www.wichita.edu/admissions. Graduate students are eligible to take some of the classes that are required for the certificate. However, graduate students may not to obtain the certificate, as it is an undergraduate degree.

Q: How much does the certificate cost?
A: The cost will depend on your classification (as Kansas resident or out-of-state). The current cost per credit hour for Kansas residents is around $252. The current cost of online courses per credit hour for Kansas residents is around $301. A list of required tuition and fees can be found here. For a more accurate estimate, contact Accounts Receivable.

Q: How do I declare the certificate?
A: You can declare the certificate either by sending an e-mail to Dr. Rachel Showstack (rachel.showstack@wichita.edu) with your WSU ID and a simple statement of your will to do so (e.g. “I would like to declare a certificate in Spanish for the Professions”) or by requesting it through your advisor at the college level (LAS, Business, Education, etc.) College advisors can add the certificate using the Change of Major application.

Q: I have already submitted my application for graduation. Can I still declare the certificate?
A: If you have submitted an application for graduation, the certificate coordinator cannot assist you in declaring the certificate. You will need to contact your advisor at the college level. He or she will be able to help you.

Q: Can I do an internship for credit?
A: An internship for credit may be offered in lieu of SPAN 557 for students who have previous professional experience in translation or interpretation. If you think you may qualify for the internship, please contact Dr. Showstack.