Director of Center for Environment and Human Health
Room: GB 022A
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (1983)
M.S., University of Akron (1981)
B.A., St. Mary-of-the-Woods College (1975)
Regular Course Offerings
- Earth Science and the Environment
- Historical Geology
- Advanced Geobiology
-Coral Reef Development in Carbonate Environments
-Ecology and Paleoecology of Foraminifera in Carbonate Environments
-Paleoecology and Sedimentology of Pierre Shale, Western Kansas
-Ecology and Paleoecology of Freshwater Ostracodes
Teaching Assistant, 1977-1979, University of Akron
Lecturer, 1979-1981, Milwaukee Area Technical College - Courses Taught: Oceanography
Lecturer, 1981-1983, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Courses Taught: Introduction to Geology; Age of Dinosaurs; Earth, Wind, Air, Fire
Assistant Professor, 1983-1989, Wichita State University
Associate Professor, 1989-present, Wichita State University
Project Assistant, Milwaukee Public Museum, 1981
Research Assistant, Center for Great Lakes Studies, Milwaukee, WI, 1982
Research Affiliate, Center for Great Lakes Studies, Milwaukee, WI, 1989-1994
Chair, Dept. of Geology, 1997-2004, Wichita State University
Patricia Roberts Harris Fellowship University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, WI, 1979-1982
Wisconsin Geological Society, Travel Scholarship, 1982
AGU Travel Award for Chapman Conference on Gaia Hypothesis, 1988
Nominated for AET & BOT Awards--Teaching Awards
Research Grants and Aquisitions
-Wichita State University Internal Grant, 1983. Equipment Grant for Fourier Analysis of Ostracoda. $5,185.00.
-Wichita State University Internal Grant, 1984. Fourier Analysis of Fossil Ostracoda for Taxonomic and Environmental Interpretation. $2,235.00.
-Wichita State University Internal Grant, 1985. Equipment Grant for Research Stereo-Microscope. $3,000.00.
-Petroleum Research Foundation Type G Grant, 1985-1987. Paleoenvironments and Taxonomy of Ostracoda via Shape Analysis. $15,000.00.
-J.J. Ducommun Co. Matching Funds Grant, 1986. Acquisition of Research Stereo-microscope. $3,000.00.
-NSF, 1987. Summer Science Institute for Primary and Secondary Educators (Directors C. Yeotis and B. Bowman). Contributing personnel and content instructor for geology section. $2,888.00.
-U.S.G.S., 1989. Stable Isotope Analysis of Lake Michigan Ostracodes. $1,000.00.
-Kansas Geological Society, 1991. Holocene Climatic Interpretation of Cheyenne Bottoms, Kansas. $800.00.
-NSF, 1993, Characterization of Bedded-Salt Dissolution. Accepted, but not funded.
Funded Grants with Students
-GSA, 1992-1994, Biotic composition of Coral Reefs at Mexico Rocks Patch Reef Complex, Belize C.A. (student: T. M. McHenry)
-Kansas Geological Society, 2000, Biostratigraphy of Pierre Shale, Logan County, KS (student:Monica Turner)
Professional Service and Associations
* Kansas Geological Society – Member
* Geological Society of America – Member
* Journal of Paleontology – Member
* Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists - Member
* Sigma Xi - Member
* American Association for the Advancement of Science - Member
* Paleontological Society - Member
* International Society of Coral Reefs - Member
* National Science Foundation - Grant Reviewer
* Petroleum Research Fund of America Chemical Society - Grant Reviewer
* The Compass - Manuscript Reviewer
* New Mexico Museum of Natural History - Manuscript Reviewer
* Aquatic Living Resources - Manuscript Reviewer
* Kansas Academy of Science - Manuscript Reviewer
* Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists - Manuscript Reviewer
* Palaios - Manuscript Reviewer
* Lethaia - Manuscript Reviewer
* National Board for Educational Development, 2000,
* LeCroy Center for Educational Telecommunications, DCCCD, Texas - Member
* Tenure and Promotion, University of Florida, Dept. of Geology, 1991 and 1993, - Outside Reviewer
* Kansas Energy Place, Board of Governors, 1984-1985
* Association of Women Geoscientists, Program Director, 1986 Board Member of AWGWichita Chapter, 1985-1986
* Fossil Identification for Kansas Community--all the time
Students and Projects
-Lloyd Thorndyke "Developmental History of Patch Reefs on the Northern Shelf of Belize, CA"
-Erin Huttig "Long term effects of Mass Bleaching Events on Caribbean Corals"
-Monica Turner " Biostratigraphy of the Pierre Shale in Western Kansas"