Title: Professor of Psychology, Department Chair
Lab: Behavioral Community Research & Action Team
Wichita State University, B.A., 1991
University of Kansas, M.A., 1993
University of KS Medical Center, M.P.H., 1996
University of Kansas, Ph.D. 1996
Current Instructor: Introduction to Community Psychology, Psychology of Health and Illness, Leadership
Development, Seminar in Prevention, Community Practicum
Research Interests: Adolescent Health and Development, Reducing Health Disparities, Community Development,
Phone: (316) 978-3695
Office: Jabara Hall Rm 437C
My current research interests are to examine the personal and environmental factors
that affect health and development. I am particularly interested in examining the
effects of preventive interventions conducted in communities, adolescent pregnancy
and the health behaviors of African Americans.
Behavioral Community Research and Action Team: This research team focuses on research
and evaluation by collaborating with community-based agencies and organizations to
reduce health disparities. Our research team also focuses on adolescent health and
development, reducing health disparities and conducing community participatory research.
Current Projects Include: Transitions Project, A Focus on Positive Youth Development,
Healthy Choices Project. Projects students are working on include: Educational Aspirations,
Racial Identity and Emerging Adults, Evaluating a Role Model Program for African American
males, and Assessing Empowerment through a Library Program in Nicaragua.
- Kirk, C. Lewis, R. K., Brown, K., Scott, A., Karibo, B, & Park, E. (in press). The Empowering Schools Project:
Identifying the Classroom and School Characteristics that Lead to Student Empowerment.
Youth and Society. (PDF)
- Lewis, R. K., Lee, F. Brown, K., LoCurto, J., Stowell, D., Maryman, J., Lovelady, T., Williams,
G., Morris, D., & McNair, T. (in press). Youth Empowerment Implementation Project
Evaluation Results: A Program Designed to Improve the Health and Well-Being of Low
Income African American Adolescents. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the
- Kirk, C., Lewis, R.K. (2015). Sense of Community on an Urban Commuter Campus: Implications for College
Retention and Student Development. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth,
- Carmack, C., Lewis, R. K., & Roncancio, A. (2015). Get the Message: Targeting Beliefs to Develop Risk Reduction
Intervention Messages for African American Adolescents. American Journal of Community
- Kirk, C.M., Lewis, R. K., Nilsen, C., & Colvin, D. (in press). The Educational Aspirations and Expectations
of Youth from the Foster Care System. Youth and Society. (PDF)
- Redmond, M., & Lewis, R. K. (2014). Are there gender differences in perceived sexual self-efficacy among African
American adolescents? Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice, 7, 1-12.
- Stowell, D., Lewis, R. K., Kirk, C., Lee, F., Ramos, L., Haynes, S., & Hicks, R., (2013). Making Healthy Choices:
An Assessment of Health Behaviors of Adolescents Participating in a Pre-College Program.
American Journal of Health Studies, 28, 2, 77-83.
- Kirk, C. M., Lewis-Moss, R. K., Nilsen, C., & Colvin, D. Q. (2011). The role of parent expectations on adolescent
educational aspirations. Education Studies, 37(1), 89-99. (PDF)
- Lee, F., Lewis, R. K., Sly, J., Roberts, S. Carmack, C.. & Basore, P. (2011). Promoting Positive Youth
Development by Examining the Career and Educational Aspirations of African American
Males: Implications for Educational Programs. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community, 39, 299-309. (PDF)
- Lewis, R. K., Lee, F., & Kirk, C. (2011). Substance Use Among African American Adolescents in
the Midwest. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community, 39, 289-298. (PDF)
- Lewis, R. K., Sly, J. (2011). Health Behaviors of African American Emerging Adult Males. Journal of Black Masculinity: Special Issue: African Americans and Public Health, 2, 84-102. (PDF)
- Paschal, A. M., Lewis-Moss, R. K., & Hsiao, T. (2011). Perceived Fatherhood Roles and Parenting Behaviors Among African
American Teen Fathers. Journal of Adolescent Research, 26(1), 61-83. (PDF)
- Lewis-Moss, R. K., Carmack, C., Sly, J., Roberts, S., & Wilson, K. (2010). Baseline Results of the
Self-Reported Sexual Behaviors of -Midwestern African American Adolescents. Journal of Black Studies, 40, 717-725. (PDF)
- Paschal, A. M., Lewis-Moss, R. K., Sly, J., & White, B. J. (2010). Addressing Health Disparities Among African Americans:
Using the Stages of Change Model to Document Attitudes and Decisions About Nutrition
and Physical Activity. Journal of Community Health, 35, 10-17. (PDF)