The focus of my research centers on grassroots and citizen driven approaches to building the capacity and social capital of groups, organizations,
neighborhoods, and communities. Instead of depending on government, getting more individuals
involved in the grassroots leadership of their own communities produces more sustainable
positive social change. My work takes a community based participatory research approach
that further increases local collaboration leading to lasting and significant community
Recent Selected Publications:
- Hakim, S. & Meissen, G. J. (under review). Social Capital, Ethnic Diversity and Trust: Examining their Relationship
at the Community Level. American Journal of Community Psychology.
- Lien, A. D., & Meissen, G. (in press). Peer perspectives: Expectations and satisfaction with certified peer
specialist services. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation.
- Dziadkowiec, O., Meissen, G. J. & Wituk, S. (in press). Who Stays, Who Goes: A Twelve Month Follow-Up Study of New
Members of Consumer Run Organizations. International Journal of Self-Help and Self-Care.
- Wituk, S., Vu, C., Swink, N., Reinhart, C., Grant, E., Dziadkowiec, O., Shagott, T.,
Keele-Lein, A., Banta, A. & Meissen, G. J. (in press). Mental health peer support: From practice to policy. American Journal of Community Psychology.
- Meissen, G. J., Greenleaf, J. & Hakim, S. (2011) Leadership as a Framework for Community Psychology
Practice, The Community Psychologist, 44, 10-12.
- Shagott, T., Vu, C., Reinhart, C., Wituk, S., & Meissen, G. (2009). Member characteristics of consumer run organizations and service utilization
patterns. International Journal of Self Help & Self Care, 4, 221-238.
- Brown, L. D., Shepherd, M. D., Merkle, E. C., Wituk, S. A., & Meissen, G. J. (2008). Understanding how participation in a consumer-run organization relates to
recovery. American Journal of Community Psychology, 42, 167-178.
- Brown, L.D., Shepherd, M.D., Wituk, S. A., & Meissen G. J. (2007). How settings change people: Applying behavior setting theory to consumer-run
organizations. Journal of Community Psychology, 35, 399-416.
- Brown, L. D., Shepherd, M. D., Wituk, S. A., & Meissen G. J. (2007). Goal Achievement and the Accountability of Consumer-Run Organizations. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 34, 73-82.
- Reinhart, C., Meissen, G. J., Wituk, S., & Shepherd, M. D. (2006). Setting level characteristics in consumer-run
organizations that enhance member outcomes. International Journal of Self-Help and Self-Care, 4, 137-147.
- Ealey, S., Wituk, S., Schulz, J., Usher, J., Meissen, G. J., & Pearson, R. (2006). The community development for healthy children initiative.
Journal of Community Practice, 14, 129-138.