Please help our students receive scholarships for this exciting program.  Click on this link to donate. 


June 3-28, 2019

Experience Tuscany
Now entering its 15th summer of study abroad, Canta in Italia (Sing in Italy) offers 25 singers the unforgettable experience of living and studying in the beautiful Tuscan city of Lucca. Located 45 minutes west of Florence, the city where opera was born, Lucca offers a small town experience with easy access to Italy's major cultural center. Puccini, Boccherini and Catalani were all born in Lucca, known throughout Italy as "the musical city". Lucca's renaissance architecture and medieval walls make this lovely town a popular Tuscan destination. Students will be immersed in Italian language and culture, and stimulated by an intensive course of vocal study and performance.  Attend an opera at the ancient Arena di Verona . Take a weekend excursion to Maggio Musicale Fiorentino festival, or La Scala.

Interested students may enroll for degree credit.

Canta in Italia affords the opportunity to explore your world and provides the kind of educational experience for singers that cannot be gained in a traditional classroom. You will make life-changing discoveries about yourself and your art. And you will have the adventure of a lifetime.



Students biking





Program Fee includes:

  • Daily voice lessons and coaching
  • Weekly master classes
  • Italian for Singers class (38 hours direct instruction)
  • Concerts of staged opera scenes
  • Agent seminar
  • Acting and audition classes
  • Trip to Arena di Verona and opera tickets
  • Day trip to Florence museums
  • Shared aparments in Lucca (includes kitchen)
  • Arrival and closing Festa
  • Emergency Medical Insurance
  • Optional college credit is offered through Wichita State University.

Not included:

  • Airfare
  • Passport and Visa fees
  • Meals and personal expenses
  • Wichita State University tuition (optional for degree credit)
  • Anything not specified as included

Tuition and Fees
The program fee for 2019 is $4,460.00. Within three weeks of acceptance, a non-refundable payment of $300.00 is required to secure your place in the program and reserve your housing, unless otherwise arranged. This payment is deducted from the program fee.


Scholarships awarded by Canta in Italia will be deducted directly from program fees. All students may apply for scholarships, and will be informed of awards beginning December 10, 2018, usually within two weeks of receipt of completed application. Awards generally do not exceed $1,000. Financial aid may be used to pay all or part of program fees. Grants, loans and scholarships may be used for payment.

WSU Students

Currently enrolled and incoming WSU students who plan to take courses for credit, will enroll through their MyWSU portal. Scholarships will be posted there as well.

Financial Aid

Students who are awarded financial aid, are required to pay a minimum of 30% of the program fee by March 19, 2019. The completed Financial Aid Disbursement Form must be included with payment before the final payment deadline. Full payment of the remaining 70% of program fees is due April 15, 2019.  Office of Financial Aid, at Wichita State University (316) 978-3430.

Apply on your campus immediately. Allow up to eight weeks for your financial aid request to be processed.



Weekend excursions may include visits to museums, churches or other historic sites such as the Pitti Palace, Santa Croce church where Rossini is buried, and the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.

Students will journey to the ancient Arena di Verona and attend a performance of Aida. During free time, students may travel on their own to attend opera performances or visit other parts of the country. Accommodations are provided in shared apartments. Students may opt have their own room (additional fee required), or share a room with another member of the program. Bathrooms are shared and use of the kitchens is included. Meals are not included in the program fee.


Staged concerts of opera scenes and arias for the Italian public bring the program to a grand finale, followed by a farewell festa at a colorful local restaurant with much wonderful Italian food and wine.

Closing dinner

Contact Information
Pina Mozzani, Area Director, Voice, at Wichita State University
(316) 978-6608