Want to be a voice major at WSU? Complete the following steps to schedule an audition:
- Schedule an audition. Complete the audition reservation form. Official audition days for the 2018-19 academic year are Saturday, November 17, 2018; Saturday, February 2, 2019 and Saturday, April 6, 2019. Requests for alternative dates may be submitted in the comments section at the end of the audition request form and are handled on a case-by-case basis. Once the form is submitted, a member of the WSU faculty will be in touch via email to schedule an exact audition date and time.
- Prepare for your audition. Your audition will be in front of the WSU voice faculty, who ask that you sing two art songs or arias. We would prefer that one be in English and the other be in a foreign language. However, in the event that this is not possible, we are happy to hear two selections in English. Your pieces should be memorized. WSU will provide an accompanist for your audition.
- Attend your audition. On audition day, please plan to arrive 45 minutes prior to your scheduled audition. Check in at the sign-in table, located in the lobby of Miller Concert Hall, in Duerksen Fine Arts Center. Click here for a link to a campus map. You will be able to rehearse with your accompanist ten minutes before your scheduled audition time. The audition itself will last ten minutes, including performances of your two prepared pieces and a brief interview.
- Scholarships are available to music majors. Offers are generally made in the spring, after the last official audition day. Students will be notified of scholarship offers by mail.
- Questions about this process can be sent to Michael Hanawalt, Director of Choral Activities.