Wichita State University Bands
Be a Band Major for a Day
"The WSU Band Experience"
• Wednesday, October 3, 2018 - 8:00 AM – 2:30pm
• Duerksen Fine Arts Center
• Registration Fee: $20.00 (payable on the day of the clinic)
• Make check payable to "WSU School of Music"
Our annual All-State Wind, Percussion, and Jazz Workshop has undergone a bit of a make-over! This event is now about showing students what it is like to be a music major within the band department at Wichita State University. Mini-classes in Theory and Aural Skills will give students an understanding of how these courses are taught at WSU and what they can expect in those arenas. Information regarding our different majors available for students including Music Performance, Music Education, and the new Bachelor of Applied Arts (Audio Production, Filmmaking, Game Design, and Animation). There will be sessions on auditioning for district and all-state ensembles as well as auditioning for College with our world-class faculty. Their advice and expertise is invaluable to understanding how to progress as a musician and music student. Finally there will be an open rehearsal with the WSU Wind Ensemble with a Q & A session with the students at the end! It should be a BLAST!
- The clinics will involve demonstrations and performances of the All-State audition music, practice habits, address performance/audition anxiety issues, and involve coaching of individual students who volunteer to play.
- Students interested in learning about auditioning, but not necessarily auditioning for the District and All-State Festival ensembles, are eligible and encouraged to attend.
- Every student should bring his or her instrument and the All-State Band/Jazz audition music to the clinic.
- Senseney Music, Inc. will have an exhibit. Students will be able to explore and try Intermediate and Professional line instruments and mouthpieces; and peruse and purchase accessories and repertoire music.