WSU Children's Dance Festival
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2020
Time: 9:00 am- 12:30 pm
Location: Heskett Center
Date: Sunday, January 26, 2020
Time: 2:00 pm
Location: Wilner Auditorium
This is an exciting annual event for area dancers and dance studios. The festival brings together young performers from across the region to share their talents in an exciting showcase featuring a variety of area dance studios and academies.
Master classes will be held in the Heskett Center Dance Studios, and will be taught by WSU Dance Faculty.
IMPORTANT PARKING INFORMATION
To ensure CDF participants friends and family are not ticketed, please park in the following parking lots: 16 South, 18, 24 and 25.
Click on the link below to view a parking map of the WSU campus.
WSU PARKING MAP
Children’s Dance Festival Guidelines from the Dance program:
Welcome to this year's Children’s Dance Festival! We are excited to have the Wilner stage filled with young dancers from the greater Wichita area and beyond! Below are a few guidelines to help make the next couple of days flow as smoothly as possible.
Classes: Heskett Center
- Class schedule - Saturday, January 25th, 2020
9:00 – 10:20 – Class Block #1 – Intermediate Ballet technique – Sabrina Vasquez - HC 144A
9:00 – 10:20 – Class Block #1 – Beginning Modern Technique – Cheyla Chandler - HC 144B
9:00 – 10:20 – Class Block #1 – Mime/Physical Theatre - Nick Johnson - HC 141
10:30 – 11:45 – Class Block #2 -Hip Hop – Amy Pollard – Yarberry - HC 141
10:30 – 11:45 – Class Block #2 – Intermediate Jazz Technique – (TBA) HC 144B
10:30 – 12:30 – WSU Dance program audition - Heskett Center 144A
- Dancers should put shoes on once outside of the studios. No bare feet in the hallways.
Food and drink is allowed only in the dance studio lounge and lobby.
Technical rehearsal: Wilner auditorium
- Check in with the WSU dance program representative in the lobby. Please be ready with dancers in costume 15 minutes prior to your assigned rehearsal time. Dancers may dress in the lobby restroom unless otherwise directed.
- Please secure all valuables before the rehearsal. Do not leave any bags in the lobby during rehearsal. All dance bags should be brought into the theatre.
- Choreographers will have 20 minutes to space, cue and run their piece. In order to stay on schedule, a maximum of 4 lighting cues will be allowed. This does not include the black-out at the end of the piece or the bow.
(Tentative schedule – running time + number of dancers)
Children’s Dance Festival technical schedule – 2020
Saturday 1/25 - Wilner Auditorium
- 1:00 – 1:20 – Fortress Ballet Dance Studio – 4:50 min (6 dancers)
- 1:20 – 1:40 –Metropolitan Ballet – 3:34 min (6 dancers)
- 1:40 – 2:00 – WCT &DC – 6:00 min (14 dancers)
- 2:00 – 2:20 – Wichita School of Performing Arts – 7:15 min (13 dancers)
- 2:20 – 2:40 – Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts – 5:03 min (13 dancers)
- 2:40 – 3:00- YMCA - 2:44 min (9 dancers)
3:00 – 3:20 – Technical crew break
- 3:20 – 3:40 –Rhythm Alley – 2:45 min (7 dancers)
- 3:40 – 4:00 - Set Free Dance Studio – 4:02 min (14 Dancers)
- 4:00 – 4:20 – Brooks Middle School – 3:24 min (6 dancers)
- 4:20 – 4:40 – Heartland Dance Center – 2:30 min (2 dancers)
- 4:40 – 5:00 – Newton Performing Arts Center - 6:10 (24 dancers)
Concert: Wilner auditorium - SHOW ORDER
- Wichita School of Performing Arts – 7:15 min (13 dancers)
- Metropolitan Ballet – 3:34 min (6 dancers)
- Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts – 3:00 min (13 dancers)
- Rhythm Alley – 2:45 min (7 dancers)
- Heartland Dance Center – 2:30 min (2 dancers)
- WCT &DC – 6:00 min (14 dancers)
- GRIT dance company - 2:44 min (9 dancers)
- Set Free Dance Studio – 4:02 min (14 Dancers)
- Fortress Ballet Dance Studio – 4:50 min (6 dancers)
- Brooks Middle School – 3:24 min (6 dancers)
- Newton Performing Arts Center - 6:10 (24 dancers)
Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 2:00pm
- Ticket Prices: Adult - $8.00 ♦ Child/Student (Show your school ID for discount.) - $5.00 ♦ WSU Student - FREE (With Shocker Card)
- . Please inform parents and guests no one is allowed in the theatre prior to the house opening at 1:30 PM. We need to prepare the stage and instruct our volunteers before the show.
- WSU Box Office number is 316-978-3233.
- WSU dance runners will escort dancers from dressing rooms to the line-up. Dancers that are in the first 3 pieces should be prepared to be escorted backstage by 1:50 PM and placed in the line-up. Performers will enter on stage right and will exit stage left. WSU Students and staff will be backstage to help with this process. NO PARENTS or Guests are allowed backstage after this time. (Please note: If there is inclement weather, dancer will be escorted through the house to backstage)
- Please inform all performers to secure all valuables before the performance!! Nothing of value should be left unattended. If a dancer needs assistance securing valuables contact a WSU faculty or dance student for further instruction and assistance.
- When performers are done with their piece, they will be allowed to return to their dressing rooms to change. If their original dressing room is in the other part of the building please have them exit during the applause or exit out the backstage door and walk across the parking lot into the other side of the building.
- Please have your dancers seated while other dancers are performing on stage. No one should be walking in the aisles or out of their seats once the lights are down.
HAVE A WONDERFUL CHILDREN’S DANCE FESTIVAL 2020!!!
~WSU Dance Program