General Application Information
Eligibility requirements can be found at the program's webpage, under their respective Admission Criteria:
The following attachments are required for all applications:
- Typed Essay: “Why I Want to Become a Nurse” - 250 word maximum.
- TEAS/ACT/SAT score report - only 1 report required
The following may be required depending on your answers:
- Unofficial Transcript(s) showing coursework currently in progress outside Wichita State University.
- Healthcare license or certificate if claiming healthcare experience
Applicants will not be able to submit their application if they are missing any information or required uploads. If you are receiving an error message, make sure to check that everything needed is filled out/uploaded.
Applicants may review their whole application prior to submitting.
Nursing applications can be deemed ineligible due to several reasons:
- Not admitted to Wichita State University as a degree bound, active, undergraduate student at time of application. See www.wichita.edu/admissions for details on admission.
- Does not meet minimum GPA requirements
- TEAS, ACT composite or SAT composite scores below the minimum
- Failing to submit completed application
- Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology or Microbiology not complete and on transcript at time of application
Application Evaluation Process
The following areas are considered in the selection process, ranked in order of priority:
- Cumulative GPA
- Multiple attempts and grades in the following science courses – Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, and Microbiology
- Nursing Essay
- Cultural diversity experience and hands-on patient care related work experience
- Previous degree (baccalaureate or higher) awarded at time of application
- Grammar, spelling, and accuracy of application.
Students who have been granted conditional acceptance will be required to secure their space and meet all final admission requirements. To secure your space, students with conditional acceptance will:
- Pay a deposit to confirm their space - $100 for Traditional, $600 for Accelerated, $500 for KSU-WSU pathway.
- For all courses taken outside of WSU, (uncluding WSU Tech), official transcripts need submitted upon completing the semester.
- Meet all final admission requirements. These final requirements include:
- All official transcripts for completed courses (including WSU Tech) on file with the WSU Registrar’s office.
- Meet minimum academic requirements:
- Traditional and KSU-WSU pathway: Overall GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Accelerated: Overall GPA of 3.00 or higher
- WSU GPA (if applicable) of 2.00 or higher
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 in 5 science courses – Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Pathophysiology and Clinical Pharmacology
- Traditional ONLY: Have no more than 6 credit hours of general education courses or electives left to complete during the nursing program
- Accelerated ONLY: Have all prerequisite, general education and elective courses completed prior to starting the nursing program.
- KSU-WSU Pathway ONLY: Have been cleared by the KSU advisor to apply.
- Attend Nursing Orientation --
Traditional and KSU-WSU Pathway incoming nursing orientation is held the Thursday and Friday before classes begin each semester.
Accelerated program incoming nursing orientation is held the first day of class.
Failure to meet all the above conditions will result in forfeiture of your admission to the nursing class.
Any applicant who has taken or is taking coursework outside WSU needs to have their
transcripts evaluated. This must be done prior to applying, and can take up to 2-4 weeks to process. Applicants can find instructions on transfer course/transcript evaluations at https://www.wichita.edu/academics/health_professions/studentservices/transfer-student.php
- Official Transcript(s) from all Higher Education Institutions attended are required for admission to Wichita State University.
- Official Transcript(s) showing all coursework completed outside WSU since your admission to Wichita State University will need sent to WSU. This must be done prior to applying.
- Do not submit a Wichita State University transcript; however, you do need to request and submit transcripts from WSU-TECH if you have coursework there. Courses taken as dual-credit while in high school need Official Transcripts from the partnering institution—a high school transcript will not suffice.
Official transcripts can be submitted one of two ways:
- Electronically (preferred method) - order an electronic transcript to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail (only if the institution doesn't offer electronic transcripts) - order a paper transcript to be mailed to:
Office of the Registrar
ATTN: Transcript Processing
1845 Fairmount, Box 58
Wichita, KS 67260
Unofficial Transcript(s) will be uploaded to the Nursing Program Application, showing all courses currently enrolled in outside of WSU.
Qualifying Score Report
All applicants must meet the ONE of three options for minimum scores to qualify to apply. Once an applicant meets or exceeds the minimums they do not need to re-test. Higher scores are not necessary and have no affect on applications.
ACT composite minimum: 27
SAT composite minimum: 1125
ACT or SAT scores can be a screenshot of the scores on file through WSU* or an official score report from ACT or SAT.
*If choosing this option and scores are not on file with WSU, contact the correct agency to have official scores sent to WSU.
TEAS Score Report
Students must submit their Individual Performance Profile (IPP) for their score report. The IPP must show the individual scores in all 4 sections:
- Math 63%
- Science 45%
- English 60%
- Reading 69%
- All 4 sections MUST be passed in one sitting
- We no longer accept TEAS V scores
- TEAS scores cannot be sent electronically to WSU – an IPP must be uploaded to the application
DO NOT submit a testing transcript. We must be able to see all four scores listed. Below is a photo of should be uploaded:
Once admitted, a criminal background check is required during the first semester of the nursing program. To learn more please visit the practicum requirements webpage (https://www.wichita.edu/academics/health_professions/nursing/documents/ugrad-web-documents/ug-clinical-requirements.php). A Social Security Number is required to conduct a valid background check.
For a variety of reasons, students enrolled in Wichita State University’s School of Nursing are required to submit to a criminal background check following acceptance to the program, but prior to beginning practicum rotations. Students will not obtain a background check on their own, the School of Nursing will provide information on how to obtain a background check. Students are responsible for the cost of the background check and any subsequent required background checks while enrolled in the nursing program. The School of Nursing reserves the right to request another background check at any point in a student’s program, at the student’s expense.
Background checks are obtained at the request of our Practicum partners. Any negative report on a background check can prevent placement in practicum. Students with negative reports on their background check must be cleared by our practicum partners before beginning practicum. Any student not cleared is not guaranteed practicum placement which may delay progression in the nursing program.
Upon graduation, students applying for licensure will be required to undergo another background check. To learn more about the legal background information for Kansas please visit https://ksbn.kansas.gov/legal-background-info/
Terms to Know:
- Course name – The department and number of the course taken. For example, the course name for College Algebra is MATH 111 at WSU.
- Pre-requisite – Required, specific course for the nursing program.
- Score report – Document showing an applicant's recorded score that meets one of our program’s three minimum score requirements to qualify for the program.
- Institution - Any college, university, or school a student has attended beyond high school.
Section II: Contact Information
- Enter your demographic information
- WSU email - IMPORTANT: Your WSU email is usually your first and middle initial and last name but can vary. This email is used to communicate with you, MAKE sure it is correct. Your WSU email does not include my WSU ID. Need help with your email contact WSU OneStop.
Section III: Education
- Applicants may need to request Official Transcripts, or upload Unofficial Transcripts (see Transcripts box above). NOTE: if applicant opens, saves, scans or copies Official Transcripts in order to upload them, they will no longer be Official.
- Applicants must fill out all information regarding science coursework. They must list
the most recent take of each course.
- WSU course names are already provided. Students who have taken/are taking that course at WSU may duplicate that answer.
- Students who took that course outside WSU must provide the original course number (example MA 135 for College Algebra at Butler Community College).
- Applicants may view the College of Health Professions Advising Center website to see
graduation requirements for WSU. https://www.wichita.edu/academics/health_professions/studentservices/
Consult with a College of Health Professions Academic Advisor to verify courses fulfill each area.
Section IV: Diversity Experience
- Answer yes or no to the 4 diversity questions.
- If an applicant answers yes, they will be provided with a space to enter details.
- If an applicant isn’t sure if something qualifies they can mark yes and enter the details. The admissions committee will review the answers and determine if the experience qualifies.
Section V: Healthcare Experience
- Applicants will be able to upload copies of any applicable healthcare certification. They can upload a maximum of 3 certifications/licenses. This MUST be done if the applicant is claiming healthcare experience to get the points.
- Answer yes or no to the 3 healthcare experience questions. Those with experience can mark all experience they have that applies in questions 1 and 2. If a student marks no on both questions, the third question is an opportunity for applicants to enter any other healthcare experience they would like evaluated for qualifying points.
Section VI: Previous Bachelor's Degree
- Answer yes or no to the previous bachelor's degree question
- If an application answer yes, they will be provided a space to enter details.
Section VII: Required Attachments
- Applicants will be able to upload their required “Why I want to be a Nurse” essay. It must be a Word or PDF document.
- Applicants will be able to upload their required score report.
Section VIII: Review and submit
- Applicants will receive an email confirmation to the email they entered in the application. If an applicant does not receive an email confirmation, please contact email@example.com
- Incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be processed.
- Applicants will be notified at their @shockers.wichita.edu and will be allowed 2 business days to correct the application.
- After 2 business days, if not corrected, the application will not be eligible for admission to the Nursing Program.
Section IX: Notification of Acceptance
Students will be notified of acceptance, waitlist status, or not accepted by email (@shockers.wichita.edu).
- Fall Start Notification deadline March 30th
- Spring Start Nonfictions deadline October 30th
- Summer Start (Accelerated program) notification deadline March 30th