Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Traditional Option
The School of Nursing at Wichita State University offers a plan for Licensed Practical
Nurses (LPN) to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
The traditional BSN program prepares students for entry-level professional nursing positions in a variety of healthcare settings and provides a foundation for graduate study in nursing. The BSN prepared nurse receives education to:
- provides direct and indirect patient care;
- coordinates, design, and manage the care of patients;
- be members of the profession;
- be patient advocates;
- practice in a variety of heath care settings;
- care for a diverse population
Key Program Features
- Earn professional qualification. Students completing this program are qualified for entry-level nursing positions in all healthcare settings as well as graduate level study.
- Earn Credits. LPN’s can earn college credit toward the BSN degree through examinations.
- Receive national preparation. The BSN degree prepares students to take the national RN licensing exam and become registered nurses.
- High National RN Licensing Pass Rates. Our students have consistently been above the national average for passing the RN licensing exam.
- Clinical Experience. This program provides students hands-on training through laboratory, simulation, and clinical experiences. Over 1000 hours of clinical experience is completed during the program.
- Capstone. Students spend a dedicated 5-week clinical rotation, with an RN, in a clinical setting, prior to graduation. Capstone begins the transition from student to practice.
|Program Entry Point||Spring and Fall|
|Program Length||4 years (2 years pre-professional, 2 years professional courses)|
|Study Plan Options||Full-time, (Day, Nights, Weekends)|
|Application Deadline||February 1st – fall entry; September 1st – spring entry|
|Minimum GPA to apply||Achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.75 in all college work and a grade of C (2.0) or above in prerequisite courses.|
|Number of Credit Hours Awarded for experience||Credits not given for experience-credits awarded based on testing.|
|Examinations Required||TEAS (Test of Academic Skills) Exam; NLN Nursing Acceleration Challenge Exam (ACE) LPN-RN|
|Required Work Experience||Have the equivalent of 1000 hours of clinical practice as an LPN within the last year.|