Code of Conduct/Office of Financial Aid
Our Mission: The mission of Wichita State University’s Office of Financial Aid is to provide access to education through financial aid resources and expertise.
In compliance with federal law and to promote confidence in the operation of Wichita State University’s Office of Financial Aid, the university and the Office of Financial Aid have adopted the following principles to provide guidance to officers, employees and agents of the university relative to the administration of financial aid resources.
- The Office of Financial Aid will adhere to the Student Loan Code of Conduct approved by the Kansas Board of Regents (see Appendix K of the Board of Regents Policy Manual) in October of 2007.
- The Office of Financial Aid prohibits all individuals who have responsibilities with regard to the administration of financial aid resources from soliciting or accepting any gift, gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, or other items of value from entities involved in making, holding, consolidating or processing student loans.
- The Office of Financial Aid prohibits all individuals who have responsibilities with regard to the administration of financial aid resources from accepting any fee, payment or other financial benefit as compensation for any type of consulting or other service contract with a lender or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans.
- The Office of Financial aid will exercise care and due diligence in selecting lenders for a lender list [in the event that a list is created and utilized]. The Office of Financial Aid will enter into no revenue-sharing agreement with any lender.
- The Office of Financial Aid will make available the criteria and process used to select lenders for a lender list [in the event that a lender list is utilized] and will disclose any business relationships with lenders.
- The Office of Financial Aid will process loans for all lenders of choice, and will advise students and parent borrowers that they have the right and ability to select a lender of their choice independent of any lender list developed and maintained by the Office of Financial Aid.
- The Office of Financial Aid will not assign a lender to a first-time borrower or delay certification of a loan because of a borrower’s choice of lender [or guarantor].
- The Office of Financial Aid will provide no funds for private loans, including opportunity pool loan,[in exchange for a specified number of federal loans, specified federal loan volume, or a preferred lender arrangement for federal loans].
- In order to prevent a potential conflict of interest or the perception of a conflict of interest, the Office of Financial Aid requires all individuals with responsibilities with regard to the administration of financial aid resources to advise supervision about any request for service on an advisory board, commission or group established by a lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors prior to the acceptance of any such position.
- The Office of Financial Aid will provide comprehensive financial aid counseling for students, prospective students, families and the community.
- The Office of Financial Aid will continuously strive to provide the highest quality service to its constituents and it will continuously evaluate its services to students and families. The Office of Financial Aid will also conduct regular reviews and audits to provide assurance as to compliance with this Code of Conduct.
- The Office of Financial Aid has adopted the NASFAA Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct.
*As of July 1, 2009: WSU entered into the Federal Direct Lending program, therefore
eliminating outside lending agencies from the Federal Direct, PLUS and Graduate PLUS
loan programs. Wichita State still utilizes outside lending agencies for private educational
loans and subscribes to the above code of conduct relative to those funds.