Shocker Adelante Scholars
The Shocker Adelante Scholars Application deadline has passed. For additional scholarship opportunities, please visit wichita.edu/additionalscholarships.
Through a generous donation of Gene and Yolanda Camarena, Wichita State is able to offer 20 renewable, high-impact scholarships to students who are of Black and/or Hispanic/Latino heritage. Adelante means "to move forward" or "to get ahead" in Spanish. In addition to the scholarship, recipients will receive mentoring and tutoring services to help them succeed on their pathway to a college degree.
Adelante Scholars Founder and Wichita State Graduate
The Shocker Adelante Scholars Program is a tuition and fees gap scholarship geared toward incoming freshmen students and new transfer students entering Wichita State University in Fall 2021. Preference will be given to students who are of Black and/or Hispanic/Latino heritage with a minimum 3.0 grade point average and demonstrated financial need.
The scholarship covers tuition and fees up to 15 credit hours per semester at the Kansas resident rate. The scholarship is valued up to a total of $20,000 over four years and will be awarded as a last payee to cover tuition and fees after all other gift aid; approximately $8,000 - $20,000 for new freshmen and $4,000 -$10,000 for new transfers. This scholarship is automatically renewable as long as the student maintains a minimum 2.5 university GPA and has completed at least 30 credit hours each academic year.
To be eligible to compete, you must:
- Be a 2021 high school graduate or new incoming transfer student with at least 12 transfer credit hours
- Submit Wichita State application and scholarship materials by December 1
Meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum unweighted 3.00 GPA
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by December 1
- For students ineligible to complete a FAFSA, please submit a need statement that speaks to the financial need for scholarship assistance
Shocker Adelante Scholars applications are due December 1, 2020.