Kyoung H. Lee, PhD, MSW, MPA, is Professor and the Program Director in the School of Social Work. Dr. Lee received his undergraduate degree in public administration from KangNam University, South Korea in 1997, a Master of Political Science from West Virginia University in 2003, an MSW from West Virginia University in 2005, and a Ph.D. in Political Science from West Virginia University in 2005. Dr. Lee joined the School’s faculty in 2007. Dr. Lee worked with low-income Korean immigrant elders as a medical Social Worker at an Adult Day Health Care Center for more than two years following graduation from the MSW Program. Dr. Lee provided counseling to help these clients utilize coping skills to minimize their mental and physical health problems while also working as a case manager. Dr. Lee’s research area has focused on understanding the various factors (spirituality, social support, stress, coping, etc.) influencing the psychological/physical well-being and health care of older adult and adult population mainly among Korean immigrants, Native Americans, assisted living residents, and Namibians. He has published over 40 peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, or books. Dr. Lee’s primary teaching areas are social welfare policy and Social Work research. In addition, Dr. Lee has taught international Social Work and aging with Social Work.
- Connecting Policy & Practice
- Social Work & Social Welfare
- General Well-Being, Health, Health Disparities, and Health Care
- Mental/Physical Well-Being and Health Care of Older Adult Immigrants & Native Americans
- Homelessness: Mental & Physical Health, Substance Abuse, Rcidivism, etc.
- Students' Attitude toward Social Work Research and Online Class
- Socioeconomic Well-Bein of Low-Income Families or Welfare Leavers
- Social Welfare Policy and Service/ Social Policy Analysis
- Social Work Research Methods/Program Evaluation
- International Social Work
- Aging and Social Work Practice
- Human Behavior in Social Environment
M.A., Department of Political Sciences, West Virginia University-Morgantown.
M.S.W., Division of Social Work, West Virginia University-Morgantown.
Ph.D., Department of Political Science, West Virgina University-Morgantown.
- Scholarship: for the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Soaicla Research (ICPSR) at University of Michigan, Department of Political Science, West Virginia University. 07/2002-08-2002
- Research Scholar. Project awarded: Effects of work incentive policies and determinants of the socioeconomic status of welfare leavers in an economically disadvantaged area. Schneider-Langlois Scholarship, Beatrice Ruth Burgess Center, Division of Social Work, West Virginia University. Chosen as a scholar through a competitive application process. 08/2003-05/2005
- Nominee, The 2008-2009 Academy for Effective Teaching (AET) award, Center for Teaching and Research Excellence, Wichita State University.
- Reboot Camp Award:Online Teaching Workshop, Co-sponsored by the Office of Academic Affairs and Research, the Media Resources Center, and the Office for Faculty Development and Student Success, Wichita State University. 05/2011
- Tilford Commission Fellowship: Infusing Diversity and Multicultural Learning Outcomes in the Curriculum, Tilford Commission, Wichita State University. 2012-2013
- Online Learning Faculty Fellow, Wichita State University. 08/2014-08/2015
- Certificate of Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR), Quality Matters, MarylandOnline. 09/2014
- Certificate of Completion for Peer Reviewer Course (PRC), Quality Matters, MarylandOnline. 02-2015
- Appreciation Award (for contribution to Korean American Social Work Educators Association as a President for 4 years), Korean American Social Work Educators Association. 11/2016
- Tilford Commission Fellowship: Infusing Diversity and Multicultural Learning Outcomes in the Curriculum, Tilford Commission, Wichita State University. 2016-2017
2017 - 2020 Commissioner, Commission on Global Social Work Education at Council onSocial Work Education (CSWE)
2017 - 2018 Manuscript Reviewer, Violence and Victums
2017 - present Chair, By-Law Committee, Korean american Social Work Educators Association (KASWEA).
2012 - 2015 Commmissioner, Commission for Diversity and Social and Economic Justice at Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
2011 - 2015 President, Korean American Social Work Educator Association (KASWEA).
2014 - 2015 Conference Ongoing Committee Member, Seoul National Social Work Conference
2007 - 2011 Vice President, Korean American Social Work Educators Association (KASWEA).
2004 - 2007 Memeber, korean American Social WOrk Educators Association (KASWEA).
2007 - 2018 Conference Proposal Reviewer, Conference Proposal Review Committee, Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) (National Level)
2014 - present Editorial Board Member, Journa of Religion and Spirituality in Social Wor: Social Thought and Manuscript Reviewer (2016)
2014 - present Manuscript Reviewer, Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
2013-2017, Editorial board Member, The Advanced Generalist: social Work Research Journal and Manuscript Reviewer (2014)
January, 2013 Manuscript Reviewer, Oxford Bibliographies in Social Work (Workfare).
2012 Manuscript Reviewer, Social Work in health care (peer-review journal)
2010 Manuscript Reviewer, The Gerontologist (peer-review journal)
2010 Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Gerontological Social Work (peer-reviewed journal)
2019 - present Member, Faculty Senate, WSU
2016 - 2019 Member, Faculty Support Committee, WSU
2016 Judge, Graduate Research and Scholarly Projects Symposium (GRASP)
2014 - 2015 Fellow, Online Learning Faculty, WSU
2013 - present Member, University Grievance Pool, WSU
2013 - present Member, WSU Resource Panel, WSU.
2016 - 2017 & 2012-2013 Fellow, Tilford Commission,WSU.
2009 - 2013 Faculty Advisor, Korean Student Association, WSU.
2012-2015 & 2008-2009 Member, Undergraduate Research Committee, WSU.
2013 Judge, Undergraduate Research Committee, WSU.
2007-present Full member, Graduate School, WSU
2016 - present Member, LAS Council
School of Social Work:
2013 - present Founding Director, Social Work Research and Evaluation Lab
2013 - present Member, Personnel Committee
2012 - present Supervisor, Graduate Research Assistants
2012 - present Chair, Faculty Research Committee
2007 - present Chair, Assessment Committee
Spring, 2018 Chair, Faculty Search Committee
2010 - 2015 & 2007-2008 Member, Faculty Search Committee
2008 - 2013 Member, Faculty and Student Development Committee
2014 - present & 2010-2011 Member, Curriculum Committee
2017 - present & 2008-2012 Member, Curriculum Committee
2007 - 2008 Member, Practicum Committee
2015 - 2018 & 2009-2013 Prinicpal. Korean Language Schol (8-12 teachers, 30-40 students: Kindergarden to college levels), Wichita, Kansas
2011 - 2014 Advisor, Wichita Korean American Young Adult Association.
01/2008 Guest Speaker, Explained Korean customs, lanuage, and culture at Mary Faith Center in Derby, Kansas
2008 - present Member, Agining & Wellness Coalition of Sedgwick County, Kansas.
2002- 2005 Korean Instructor, Korean School, Morgantown, WV. Taught Korean Language and culture to Korean Americans (Graduate/undergraduate students and high middle school students).