Frequently Asked Questions

Taking the step to submit a concern about someone can evoke mixed feelings. Below are a few common questions people have about this process.

If you need immediate assistance after normal business hours, please contact Wichita State University Police Department at 316-978-3450.

Why should I contact the Care Team?
If a community member (student, faculty or staff) behaves in a way that is disruptive or poses a threat to any aspect of the university community, such behaviors should be reported to the Care Team.
How do I connect with the Care Team?

You can submit a concern through the Care Team reporting page (click here). You can call the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Assessment and Retention, Alicia Newell, at 316-978-6105 during regular business hours and ask to schedule an appointment. You can also email the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs, Alicia Newell, at or stop by room 231 in the Rhatigan Student Center.

What if I am wrong about the person?

You are registering a concern based on an observed behavior (e.g., verbal exchange, action, etc.), not making a determination. By alerting the appropriate campus representatives, a safety determination can be made.

How should I approach the person?

As a caring individual, you may desire to reason with or explore the source of the actions of the person in question. However, based on the threat level, this mentoring approach may not be the best course of action. Always assess the risk. Should you have any concern about your safety or the safety of others, your best course of action for the safety of all involved is to access intervention from people who are trained in these areas.

I don't have a great deal of information; should I wait before notifying someone?

Sometimes we don't have all the information. Let the Care Team weigh the information and see if gathering more facts is warranted as a response plan is evaluated. Bring what you have because others may have evidence too.

What will happen to the person about whom I submit a concern form?

Although action will depend upon the situation, the Care Team will intervene in support of the person of concern, as well as campus safety.

Who has access to this information?
The Care Team is the primary responding body at the university. In the event that additional resources need to be mobilized in order to effectively respond to a situation, reported information will be handled discreetly.
Will this report adversely affect this person's status as a student or employee?
You are doing the right thing in reporting your concerns in support of individuals' and our campus safety. However, this action may also raise concern for the person involved. The Care Team takes into account the concerns of the campus, as well as the needs of the student, faculty or staff member about whom concerns are expressed. Whether the overall review of information will adversely affect the person's status as a student or employee will depend on the situation.
 How will I know that the situation has been addressed?
The Care Team will address every report that is brought to the committee. However, you may not be privy to the outcome of an investigation based on the factors involved.
Will the person be able to find out that I submitted the concern?
The Care Team will attempt to handle all matters discreetly. We cannot guarantee that the person(s) involved will not be able to find out the source of the report. However, our intention is not to divulge this information.
Can I submit a concern anonymously?
Yes. However, you are encouraged to identify yourself because this may assist the Care Team if clarification or additional information is needed. Submitting your name also gives your report more credence. Anonymous entries will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
What do I do if I know a student who may need to be referred to the Care Team?

If you feel there is an immediate threat, call 911.

To make a referral, use the incident reporting form (click here). You will be asked for basic information about the student, how to contact you (in the event the Care Team has follow-up questions) and for a description of the incident or behaviors that prompted the referral.

You are the Care Team's best resource because you are familiar with the student. If you are comfortable doing so, tell the student that you are concerned and ask if they are okay. In many cases students will indicate that they could use some help and you can refer them to the Counseling & Testing Center at

Who can make a Care Team referral?
Anyone who feels a student is a threat to themselves and/or others, or is exhibiting behaviors disruptive to the mission of the community, can make a Care Team referral; including students, parents, faculty and staff, and other community members.
What happens after I make the referral?
The team of members from student services, academic affairs and the counseling services are able to take the information and make a decision about whether the student should be assessed by counseling center staff. However, reporting is the most critical step. Refer to the Resources page to find contact information if you believe these departments can assist you.
What happens to the student in the Care Team process?
If the team determines the student is appropriate for the Care Team process, they will be contacted and either the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs or the Student Engagement Coordinator will meet with them. They may be instructed to undergo an assessment at the Counseling and Testing Center. The type of assessment is dependent on the particular behavior. Students are generally required to undergo a minimum of four sessions of assessment by the Counseling Center staff.
How do I know if it is a Care Team issue or if it is more appropriately handled by other campus resources?
You do not have to make this determination; the Care Team will do it for you. The most critical step is that you submit a concern.
Can I submit a concern about myself?
Of course! Care Team exists to help. If you are struggling, please don't assume you need to wait until it's bad enough that someone else notices.

If you need immediate assistance after normal business hours, please contact Wichita State University Police Department at 316-978-3450.