Assisting Leaders and Employees
In working together day to day, it is normal for employees to occasionally have concerns or suggestions for improvement about their workplace. Human Resources provides tools to aid in successful continued employment and to work out solutions to problems as quickly as possible. It is the University’s view that most problems can be resolved through informal discussions between employee(s) and leader(s) in the department. Employees are encouraged to talk about work-related problems with their leader.
Leaders are encouraged to:
- Develop and maintain a positive relationship with employees.
- Support is provided through programs, guidelines and policies that ensure fairness, respect and consistent treatment for all employees.
- Provide means for conflict resolution.
- Assist in proactive training and development of employees and leaders.
To meet these goals, the Human Resources Business Partners provide the following support:
- Review departmental guidelines for fairness and consistency with University policies.
- Problem solve with leaders regarding employee and organizational issues.
- Assist/coach employees in managing relations with their leaders.
- Advise leaders when considering employment action to manage performance concerns to ensure compliance with University standards, and fair and consistent treatment.
Managing Performance – Coaching and Corrective Action
- Leaders may determine that coaching or corrective action is required to manage performance in situations where the employee has unmet expectations.
- It is important that the leader first has a conversation with the employee to learn more about the situation, relevant facts and information, and any mitigating circumstances. It is important for the leader to consider the nature and seriousness of the infraction when determining the level of corrective action. In addition, it is recommended that the leader discuss the proposed corrective action with Human Resources right away to ensure appropriate applicability, documentation, and procedure.
- Reference the policies for additional information about managing performance, and
using the coaching and corrective action tools.
Revised: 7/24/18 DC