The OHR 120/Research Request to Fill form is used to request a search for any positions that are partially or totally grant funded, contract funded or research. Hiring organization (project director) should complete and submit rough draft to the Research Administration Office, Box #7 or complete draft and e-mail to (e-mail communication is preferred).

  1. Complete the prepared by and project director information with name, campus phone number and the date the paperwork is prepared.
  2. The benefits eligibility section should indicate whether or not the position is benefits eligible. A position must be at least .5 FTE to be eligible for employee benefits (such as retirement and health insurance).
  3. The comments section may be used for any notes to clarify the request, including identification of multiple funding sources.
  4. The reason code is to be selected from the following list of codes to note the reason the position is vacant (i.e. the status of the previous employee in the position). Wichita State University is one employer – transfer and/or promotion to another organization within the University is not a resignation from the current organization.
    • CTU -- University Support Staff to Unclassified
    • DEA -- Deceased
    • DEM -- Demotion (left for a lower paid position on campus)
    • DIS -- Dismissal (involuntary resignation)
    • EOA -- End of Appointment (met maximum hours or time span of position)
    • LAY -- Layoff
    • LTD -- Long Term Disability (organization is notified by OHR Benefits when LTD has been approved)
    • NEW -- New Position (no previous employee in the position)
    • OTH -- Explain in "Comments" if other than codes described
    • PRO -- Promotion (took a higher paid position on campus)
    • RES -- Resignation (voluntarily left University employment)
    • RET -- Retired
    • TEM -- Temporary
    • TTA -- Transfer to Another Agency (transferred to position in another State agency)
    • TTR -- Temporary to Regular
    • TWI -- Transfer from Within (took another position on campus at the same level)
    • UTC -- Unclassified to University Support Staff
  5. Place an X in the type of position section to show whether the vacancy is a full or part-time position. If it is part-time, note the percentage of FTE (i.e. .50, .75). The from and to dates must be indicated for the appointment.
  6. Indicate whether the vacancy is University Support Staff or Unclassified and the defined status within that category and the length of employment.
    • University Support Staff:
      • Exempt or Non-Exempt - check one to indicate whether or not the position is eligible for overtime pay. Position Description must accompany form and be reviewed by Human Resources for FLSA determination of exempt, non-exempt status before position can be filled.
      • Limited Term Regular - a position that is scheduled to terminate within a predetermined period of time. Individuals in a limited-term position shall be terminated on the end date of that position, subject to any extensions of the limited-term position. Note appointment dates as noted in #5 above. (Organizations should use the OHR 100/Request to Fill for non-grant funded limited term positions.)
      • Temporary – position is not benefits eligible and is limited to not more than 999 hours of employment in a 12-month period.
    • Unclassified:
      • Faculty:
        • Temporary – appointment for specified period only, with no expectation of reappointment.
      • Professional:
        • Exempt or Non-Exempt - check one to indicate whether or not the unclassified professional position is eligible for overtime pay. Position Description must accompany form and be reviewed by Human Resources for FLSA determination of exempt, non-exempt status before position can be filled.
        • Contingent - appointment for a fixed period of time, usually funded from restricted use funds or by grants.
      • Instruction - check the box to indicate if this position doesn't involve instruction or, if it does involve instruction, check the box indicating whether it's more or less than half-time.
      • Length of appointment:
        • 9 month – academic year appointment
        • 10 month – academic year appointment
        • 12 month – fiscal year appointment.
        • Term (Other) – only to be used for unclassified temp at the request of the EEO.
  7. In the University Support Staff section, note the grade and step of the vacancy to be filled and the hourly salary for non-exempt and the other amount (normally bi-weekly) for exempt University Support Staff openings. Call the Office of Human Resources at ext. 3065 if there are any questions.
  8. Complete the organization and position information. If a new position leave blank and a new position number will be assigned by the University Budget Office.
  9. Enter the proposed salary for unclassified positions.
  10. Research Administration enters proposed funding sources, verifies information and signs off on the form.
  11. The Office of Research Administration will sign and date the form. The Office of Research Administration should make and retain one copy of the OHR 120 and forward the original to the appropriate Dean who will make and retain one copy and send the original back to ORA, campus box #7. Research will forward to the University Budget Office, campus box #47. If the organization is in the division of Academic Affairs and Research, the OHR 120 and supporting documentation should be forwarded to the Office of the Provost and Sr. Vice President, campus box #13, attention Dr.Tony Vizzini.
  12. The University Budget Office will process and forward the form to the appropriate president/vice president for review. The form will then be returned to the University Budget Office for distribution as noted on the bottom of the form.

OHR 120/Research Request to Fill

Reviewed: 08/12/2014