What is Blackboard?
Welcome to Blackboard, Wichita State University's Learning Management System (LMS). An LMS is an online learning environment that supports face-to-face, hybrid, flipped, and online instruction. Unlike an unprotected website environment, an LMS like Blackboard provides a FERPA compliant space for student learning. If you are teaching a course with component(s) that you would like to have be available through the Internet, please set up that material in Blackboard.
In order to be successful in Blackboard, here are the basic things you need to know:
- To log in to Wichita State's Blackboard area, go to blackboard.wichita.edu. You can also log in from the Bb tab found on most Wichita.edu webpages. Please do not log in to Blackboard through the MyWSU interface as this will cause you login problems in Blackboard. Use your WSUID and password as your Blackboard credentials. If you have problems logging in, please submit a ticket through the OneStop.
- Blackboard has two types of spaces, "courses" and "organizations." Courses are automatically
generated from Banner records about one month before each term begins. Students are
put in and taken out automatically depending on their enrollment status. Organizations
look very much like courses but they are set up by WSU staff to support university
organizations as needed.
- If you need to set up a course before one is automatically generated, you may request a blank course area by emailing IDA. We call these blank course areas ".dev shells." The information you load into your .dev shell can be "rolled into" your live course once it is available.
- If you need an organization set up for a university student group, please contact Instructional Design and Access at IDA@Wichita.edu.
- If you would like training in any aspect of Blackboard, visit the IDA Blackboard Training page which includes very short, targeted faculty training videos. Additionally, IDA has a Blackboard Training page dedicated to The IDA team also created student training videos, and you are encouraged to direct students to them. To find them, select the student training videos link.
- Prefer print based tutorials? IDA has created a Blackboard Guide for Instructors, which is a handy guide to many of the things you will want to do in a Blackboard class.
- If you have never used Blackboard before, you should watch this thirteen-minute video, "Introduction to Blackboard" to learn the basics of our Blackboard classroom environment:
- Where to Take Problems: If all of this is new to you, you are likely to face challenges. Here is where
you should take questions and problems:
- Computer Problems: If you cannot get your Wichita State supported computer to do what you need to do, please contact the Wichita State Technology Help Desk.
- Blackboard Questions: If you have questions about how to do something in Blackboard or Panopto, please email Instructional Design and Access at IDA@wichita.edu.
- Blackboard Problems: If Blackboard is acting up for you and you need technical help, or if you need technical help with Panopto, please submit a OneStop ticket.
- If you are planning to teach a fully online or a hybrid course, please consider working through IDA's FaST Start program. It will walk you through many critically important aspects of setting up, teaching, and then rolling over an online or hybrid course. Good luck with your Blackboard course! If you need any help at all, please contact your Instructional Design and Access team at IDA@Wichita.edu. IDA also maintains a blog site and a regular podcast, both of which can be accessed by clicking here.