Researching Your Business Idea:
- Wichita State's Albah Library offers a wealth of resources, such as market and industry reports, at no cost to
- Kauffman Foundation: Includes access to insights, research, and articles on entrepreneurship.
- Market Research
- IBIS World provides industry reports. Just look up your industry and read about size,
growth, and trends.
- Look up news articles regarding your industry and competitors.
- Read reviews for your direct competitors to get an idea of what you can do that your
competitors do not.
- The United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Comprehensive site containing information about applying for patents, filing for trademarks,
searching for patents and trademarks, and more.
- Website for the Copyright Office including information about Copyrights and how to
- Google Patents
- Searchable database of United States Patent and Trademark Office patents and patent
- Wichita State University’s Ablah Library is the only Patent and Trademark Resource
Center (PTRC) in Kansas. Visit the library guide for intellectual property resources
at http://libresources.wichita.edu/patents/trademarks/copyright. Contact Sara Butts if you have general questions about intellectual property or
if you would like assistance with a patent or trademark search. You can reach Sara
at (316)978-5017 or email@example.com. The library also offers several workshops
about intellectual property and business topics in the Entrepreneurship Research Series
of workshops. To see a full schedule of workshops, visit http://libresources.wichita.edu/ers.
- Strategyzer, Alex Osterwalder
- Sign up and gain access to countless resources for the Business Model Canvas (training,
tools, templates, blogs).
- Nail It Then Scale It, by Nathan Furr & Paul Ahlstrom
- Nail It Then Scale It is the first lean startup book to help entrepreneurs through
the process of launching a high-growth company.
- The Lean Startup, by Eric Ries
- How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful
Writing a Winning Business Plan:
- Business Plans: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Entrepreneur.com has tons of great articles for entrepreneurs. Read this one and check
out other articles.
- How to Write a Business Plan, Open Colleges
- ?A comprehensive guide created in consultation with industry experts.
- How to Write a Business Plan, SBA
- Detailed information on what needs to be in your business plan.
- How to Structure a Business Plan, Inc. Magazine
- Extensive resource that covers everything from idea feasibility to presentation.
- Writing a Business Plan, Sequoia Capital
- Includes elements of sustainable companies and a straightforward business plan outline.
- SEC Filings and Forms
- All publicly traded companies must disclose financial information to the SEC. Research
companies that have similar cost structure, distribution channels, customers, etc.
to help you estimate costs for your start-up.
Launch Your Business:
- The Kauffman Foundation's Entrepreneurship Resource Center
- Information on accounting and finance, business operations, human resources, marketing
and sales, products and services and public policy.
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- U.S. government site that has information on everything from how to start and manage
a business to how to find funding to how to obtain the proper business licenses and
- Startup America Partnership
- Offers a coalition of mentors, advisors, funders, major corporations, and service
providers to help entrepreneurs start and scale companies.
- Startup Tools from Steve Blank
- Collection of tools covering founding/running a start-up, conducting market research,
and building a web prototype.
Pitch to Investors:
Get Legal and Tax Help:
Using your myWSU Id: