College of Engineering Scholarships
The College of Engineering awards approximately $800,000 each year in both merit-based and need-based scholarships to College of Engineering majors. These awards are made possible by our generous donors, which allow us to provide over 200 students with financial assistance as they pursue their degrees at Wichita State.
Nearly all College of Engineering scholarships, as well as other general Wichita State scholarships, are awarded through a single, master application called the "New/Continuing Students" application in ScholarshipUniverse. This application is open from November 1 — February 1 each academic year. Applications received during this period are used to select recipients for the following academic year. For instructions on how to apply, open the "College of Engineering Scholarships for 2022-2023" section below.
The College of Engineering has over 80 active scholarship funds. These scholarships were established and funded by private donors through the WSU Foundation. The eligibility criteria is unique to each scholarship based on the guidelines set forth by the donor. Therefore, every scholarship has different criteria. Criteria for any particular scholarship may include factors such as major, GPA, class standing, financial need, involvement in engineering professional societies or other student organizations, and more. Both merit-based and need-based scholarships are available. Nearly all engineering scholarships are awarded through the "New/Continuing Students" application in ScholarshipUniverse.
Who Can Apply
- High school seniors who plan to enter WSU in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023
- Transfer students, returning adult students, and international students who plan to enter WSU in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023
- Current WSU students who will not graduate any sooner than December 2022
Application Timeline & Additional Information
The application will open on November 1, 2021 and close at 11:59pm CST on February 1, 2022. Review of applications begins in February, and all applicants will receive an email notification on or around May 1 indicating whether or not they have been offered a scholarship for the 2022-2023 academic year.
How to Apply for College of Engineering & General University Scholarships
Students who will be new to Wichita State in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 should start at step #1 below. Current Wichita State students should start at step #4 below.
- Apply for admission to Wichita State and declare a College of Engineering major in the "Academic Interest" section of your admissions application.
- The College of Engineering majors listed on the admissions application include the following: Aerospace Engineering, Applied Computing, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Engineering - Undecided, Engineering Technology Management, Facilities Management, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Technology, and Product Design and Manufacturing Engineering.
- If you aren't sure which College of Engineering major you want to declare, select "Engineering - Undecided." Do not select the generic "Undecided" option or that will make you ineligible for College of Engineering scholarships.
- Once you have been admitted, you will receive an 8-digit myWSU ID from the Office of Admissions. You must be admitted to WSU and have received your myWSU ID from the Office of Admissions before you will be able to access the scholarship application system.
- Set up your myWSU student account.
- Go to wichita.edu/mywsu and click on the "Manage your password" link under the login button on the right side of the page.
- Click on "Forgot/Set up Password" button and follow the steps to create your password.
- Once you have set up a password associated with your myWSU ID, go to the WSU ScholarshipUniverse website. Log in using your myWSU ID and password. Your username is your myWSU ID followed by @wichita.edu (example: A123B456@wichita.edu).
- Answer the questions that appear on the screen to set up your ScholarshipUniverse profile.
- Click on the "Applications" button on the menu along the left side of the page.
- Click on the "New/Continuing Students" application link to start your application. This application is for nearly all College of Engineering scholarships, as well as other general university scholarships (with the exception of Freshman and Transfer Merit Scholarships). Note: The "New/Continuing Students" application link will not visible until the application opens on November 1, 2021.
Each November, the WISE competition is held to select recipients of the prestigious Wallace Scholarship. Recipients are selected based on GPA, ACT Composite and ACT Math scores, and performance in the competition. More information about WISE, including the competition date, eligibility criteria, and instructions for applying to compete in WISE, can be found at www.wichita.edu/wise.
Who Can Apply
- High school seniors who meet the WISE competition eligbility criteria
The James & Catherine Buck Charitable Trust Current Scholarship in Aerospace Engineering is available to aerospace engineering majors who meet the following criteria. Please review this criteria carefully prior to submitting an application.
- Full-time, currently enrolled undergraduate student majoring in Aerospace Engineering (prospective or incoming students should wait until they have started taking classes at Wichita State to apply)
- Employed in an off-campus job at least eight (8) hours per week (must be employed during any semesters in which scholarship funds are being received)
- Have demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA
- Have a GPA between 2.5 and 3.5. Your GPA cannot be above 3.5.
Students who may be eligible are encouraged to apply for this generous scholarship. Applications are accepted year-round, but awards will be made based on the availablity of funds.
For your application to be submitted correctly, you must download the application linked above to your computer, open it in a PDF reader, complete the form, and save a copy of the completed form. If you open the document in your web browser and complete it, it will not save properly. Email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about College of Engineernig scholarships, contact Jason Bosch at email@example.com.