- Ph.D. 2013 Shandong Univerisity
Principal Research Interests
Our group is dedicated to designing, synthesis and characterization of emerging inorganic functional materials for energy and health applications. We are particularly interested in, but not limited to, solid-state cooling materials, nonlinear optical materials, photocatalytic degradation catalysts, and thermoelectric materials. The successful design of functional materials requires comprehensive knowledge of chemical bonds, crystal and electronic structures, microstructures, interfaces, defect chemistry, crystal growth, and properties characterization. We always welcome talented undergraduate and graduate students to be engaged in our lab and address fundamentally essential problems at the interface of inorganic chemistry, condensed matter physics, and materials science. Students in our lab will become experts in designing functional materials through learning various synthetic methods, crystal growth techniques, characterization techniques (X-ray and neutron crystallography, thermal analysis and spectroscopy, etc.), physical property measurements, as well as theory simulations.
- Jian Wang, Yuping He, Natalia E. Mordvinova, Oleg I. Lebedev, Kirill Kovnir. “The smaller the better: hosting trivalent rare-earth guests in Cu-P clathrate cages.” Chem. 2018, 4, 1465-1475.
- Jian Wang, Kirill Kovnir. “Giant Anisotropy Detected”. Nat. Photon. 2018, 12, 382-383.
- Jian Wang, Juli-Anna Dolyniuk, Kirill Kovnir. “Unconventional Clathrates with Transition Metal-Phosphorus Frameworks.”Acc. Chem. Res. 2018, 51, 31-39(Cover Figure).
- Katherine E. Woo†, Jian Wang†, Kui Wu, Kathleen Lee, Juli-Anna Dolyniuk, Shilie Pan, Kirill Kovnir. “Mg-Si-As: An Unexplored System with Promising Non-Linear Optical Properties.” Adv. Funct. Mater. 2018, 28,1801589. †Equally contrib.
- Jian Wang, Oleg I. Lebedev, Kathleen Lee, Juli-Anna Dolyniuk, Peter Klavins, Sabah Bux, Kirill Kovnir. “High-efficiency Thermoelectric Ba8Cu14Ge6P26: Bridging the gap between tetrel-based and tetrel-free clathrates.” Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 8030-8038.
- Jian Wang, Derrick Kaseman, Kathleen Lee, Sabyasachi Sen, Kirill Kovnir. “Enclathration of X@La4 tetrahedra in channels of Zn-P frameworks in La3Zn4P6X (X = Cl, Br)”. Chem. Mater. 2016, 28, 4741-4750.
- Jian Wang, Kirill Kovnir. “Elusive β-Zn8Sb7: A new zinc antimonide thermoelectric”,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 12474–12477.
- Yufei Hu, Jian Wang, Airi Kawamura, Kirill Kovnir, Susan Kauzlarich. “Yb14MgSb11 and Ca14MgSb11 -New Mg-Containing Zintl Compounds and Their Structures, Bonding and Thermoelectric Properties”, Chem. Mater. 2015, 27, 343-351.
- Jian Wang, Xiao-Cun Liu, Sheng-Qing Xia, Xu-Tang Tao. “Ca1–xRExAg1–ySb (RE=La, Ce, Pr, Nd, Sm; 0 ≤ x ≤1; 0 ≤ y ≤1): Interesting Structural Transformation and Enhanced High-Temperature thermoelectric Performance”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 11840-11848.