English Placement Exams
To set up a date and time to take your English Placement Exam, please contact the Counseling and Testing Center at 316-978-3440.
Bring the following: myWSU ID or a photo ID (Birth date will be required if you do not have a myWSU ID number) and a pencil. Your financial aid account will be charged $20.00 for the test.
There are two parts to the English Placement Exam. The test takes two hours. Part I is a set of 45 multiple choice questions that tests reading comprehension. Part II consists of writing one essay.
Arrive 15 minutes early to register. The tests begin on time and stop as scheduled.
TOEFL and EPE do not substitute for the English Placement Test
Placement and Credit Standards
There is no prerequisite for English 011 or 013. The prerequisite for English 015 is English 013. The prerequisite for English 100 is English 013 or 015 or a qualifying score on the WSU English placement exam. The prerequisite for English 101 is either a score of 20 or higher on the verbal section of ACT or a score of 460 or higher on the Verbal section of SAT or a qualifying score on the WSU English placement exam. Placement exam scores from other universities cannot be used. Transfer students must meet these same requirements.
English Credit in 101 and 102
- AP - 5 (English Literature and Composition)
- AP 3-5 = ENGL 101 credit (AP Seminar)
- AP 3-5 = ENGL 102 (AP Research)
- ACT (English) - 31 = ENGL 101 credit and placement into ENGL 102
- RSAT (Critical Writing) - 700
- AP - 3 or 4 (English Literature and Compostion or/ English Language and Composition)
English Placement in 101H
- ACT (English) - 27
- RSAT (Critical Writing) - 610
English Placement in 101
- ACT (English) - 20
- RSAT (Critical Writing) - 490
Placement Test Equivalencies on SOATEST Screen
- 01 = English 013
- 02 = English 015
- 03 = English 100
- 04 = English 101
- 05 = English 011
English Composition Course Prerequisites
- 011: no prerequisites, no placement exam needed
- 101: prerequisite is Credit in 011 or adequate score from placement exam, ACT, or RSAT
- 102: prerequisite is 100 or 101 with a grade of C or better or scores from ACT, RSAT, or AP high enough to receive credit for 101
English as a Second Language (ESL) Prerequisites
- 013: no prerequisites, no placement exam needed
- 015: prerequisite is Credit in 013 or adequate score on placement exam
- 100: prerequisite is Credit in 015 or Credit in 013 with director recommendation or adequate score on placement exam
Business and Technical Writing Prerequisite
- 210: prerequisite is 101 and 102 with a grade of C or better in each class