Kansas Government Finance Officers Association
The Kansas Government Finance Officers Association (KSGFOA) partners with Wichita State University's Public Policy and Management Center to provide membership development and operational support for the Association. In addition, WSU staff provide conference planning, board support, marketing assistance and financial management support to the Association.
Learn more about Kansas Government Finance Officers Association here.
21st Annual KSGFOA Public Finance Conference
October 7-9, 2020 I More Information Coming Soon!
• Member rate: $75
• Non-member rate: $100
• Member rate: $135
• Non-member rate: $175
• Member rates: Early, early bird: $225 (through 6/4/20); Early bird: $250 (through
9/6/20); Late: $275 (after 9/6/20)
• Non-member rates: Early, early bird: $300 (through 6/4/20); Early bird: $325 (through 9/6/20); Late: $350 (after 9/6/20)
• City and County Clerk rate: Registration up to conference is $225; Pre-conference attendance at member rate for both half and full day
• Student rate: $35
Nick Kittle: Sustainovation
Sustainovation are the techniques we use to build sustainable innovation into government. Award- winning civic innovator, coach and author Nick Kittle will explain the nature of innovation in government and how to sustain it-and more importantly, the powerful role that we play in making Sustainovation a reality for our organizations. In this inspirational keynote, Nick will explore how we can get creative, build momentum and get others on our "Team Us" as we make these wildly creative ideas real! Attendees will leave empowered, inspired and ready to tackle powerful challenges with new vigor.
Tentative Conference Schedule
Half day session Workshop
Full day session Budget Academy Workshop
More information coming soon!
Conference 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Social & Vendor Reception 5-9 p.m.
Conference 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
More information coming soon!
Current 2020 Conference Sponsors
Become a 2020 Conference Sponsor
At the KSGFOA conference, sponsors have opportunities to interface with attendees at vendor booths, social events, lunch and breaks, in addition to branding opportunities on conference materials of all types.
The KSGFOA Conference Committee reserves the right to refuse Exhibitor or Sponsor status to any company or organization.
Paula Downs, Staff Support, KSGFOA
Wichita State University Public Policy and Management Center
You are invited to submit topic and speaker ideas or a presentation proposal for the 21st Annual Kansas Government Finance Officers Association (KSGFOA) Conference. We encourage information from federal, state and local practitioners, consultants and keynote speakers. General sessions and breakout sessions can be delivered by an individuals, co-presenters, moderated panel discussions or roundtable topics. Proposals should include presentations on relevant topics for public finance professionals and consultants serving local and state governments across Kansas.
Example topic ideas include, but are not limited to:
• Budget balancing strategies
• Fostering innovation
• Debt levels and sustainability
• Economic development
• Talent drain
• Citizen participation in budgeting
• Recent and emerging fiscal trends
• Financial forecasting
• Succession planning
• Performance budgeting
• Funding aging infrastructure projects
• Capital planning
• General and breakout sessions are one hour in length
• Proposals will be reviewed and approved by the Conference Planning Committee. Direct questions to Paula Downs via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 316-978-6678.
• Travel, lodging and other expenses are the responsibility of each presenter. Travel expenses for keynote and other “key” presenters will be reviewed and approved by the KSGFOA Board. KSGFOA will work with presenters on scheduling session date/times that work with the conference and presenter(s) schedule.
• Presenters for general and break-out sessions will be required to register and pay for attending the conference. Registration fees are $225. Presenters may attend only their session at no cost; however, lunch and conference access will not be included. Registration fees will not be required for keynote and other “key” presenters as determined by the KSGFOA Board.
All presentation information should be completed and delivered by the lead presenter. The information submitted, if accepted, will be used in all marketing materials for the conference, including the conference program, website, social media and other materials. Please provide all the information in the application.
Audiovisual Needs and Handouts
Presenters will have access to a laptop, projector and screen during their presentation. Presenters are responsible for their own handouts. An electronic copy of presentations and handouts must be sent to email@example.com by October 1, 2020 for posting on the website immediately after the conference.
The KSGFOA Board is pleased to announce that attendance scholarships for the 2020 annual conference are available! If you are not a member of KSGFOA or are a member who has never had the opportunity to attend the Annual Professional Conference, you may apply for a scholarship. The Board will sponsor up to five individuals. The scholarship for non-members will include a one-year KSGFOA membership and for members includes the conference registration. The conference will be held in Olathe, Kan., on Oct. 7–9, 2020. A pre-conference session is scheduled for Oct. 7 at an additional charge of $75 for half-day attendance and $135 for full-day attendance. Awardees will be notified by Aug. 31, 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the eligibility requirements?
• Must meet the qualifications to become a KSGFOA member or already be a KSGFOA member.
• Must not have attended the KSGFOA Fall Professional Conference previously. Attendance at KSGFOA's Accounting Academy does not count as attending a KSGFOA Fall Professional Conference.
• Does not include substitutions. If you cannot attend the conference after being awarded the scholarship, it cannot be transferred to another individual nor a future year.
How do I apply for the scholarship?
• Complete the application by clicking on the link below by Aug. 17, 2020. The application must include a statement of support from a supervisor or colleague. This statement should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 17, 2020. Please put "KSGFOA Scholarship Support Statement" in the e-mail subject line.
If you have any questions, please contact Paula Downs via e-mail at email@example.com or by phone 316-978-6678. Awardees will be notified by Aug. 31, 2020.
How many scholarships are awarded?
• Up to five scholarships will be awarded by the Board. The Board will award as appropriate to continue the growth of the KSGFOA membership.
What does the scholarship cover?
• The scholarship waives the conference registration fee and, for non-members, will pay the 2020 membership fee (January – December) with KSGFOA. All scholarship recipients are still responsible for their travel and lodging and the conference. The scholarship does not cover the pre-conference session on Wednesday, Oct. 7. If you are already a KSGFOA member, but never attended the conference, the scholarship will cover the cost of the conference registration only.
The Kansas Government Finance Officers Association (KSGFOA) has established a Lifetime Achievement Award. The purpose of the award is to recognize an individual’s achievements in outstanding leadership in public finance over the course of their career. The award recognizes the entirety of the recipient’s career, rather than, or in addition to, a single contribution. The award will not be given with any specific periodicity but rather when an eligible recipient is identified.
The KSGFOA Board will be responsible for the final selection of the Award Recipient(s) using the following selection criteria:
- Nominees must have exhibited honesty and integrity throughout their careers and contributed fundamentally to the advancement of sound public finance practices.
- Consideration for the award will be based on the cumulative impact the nominee’s works have had and continues to have on the delivery of good public finance.
- Nominee must be a member of KSGFOA.
- Nominee must be determined to have provided extraordinary service and created a positive and lasting legacy within the public finance profession.
- Nominee is credited with changing their profession and inspiring others to do the same.
A nominee must receive the support of a majority of the KSGFOA Board to be given the award. The name of any award recipient(s) will be announced and will be recognized and presented with an award at the KSGFOA Annual Conference Business Meeting.
Given the listed criteria, the expectation is that the choice of the award recipient is likely to be uncontroversial and would be viewed as a celebration of path-breaking contributions in public finance. The KSGFOA Board will solicit nominations for this award on an annual basis although KSGFOA members may submit nominations meeting the above criteria to the KSGFOA President at any time.
The KSGFOA Board will evaluate nominees for the award. Nominated candidates not selected for the award may be considered by the KSGFOA board for a future award.
The innovation award is designed to recognize and promote creative public finance initiatives and projects that provide innovative and creative solutions to address organizational and community challenges. Winners are those that reflect dedication and inventiveness in working in public finance and governance to deliver excellence in public services.
The award recognizes people, products and services that demonstrates innovation within public finance. Initiatives and projects should have occurred within the last two years.
Initiative and project examples could include:
- Services that have made a contribution to building a transparent, innovative, sustainable and collaborative working environment
- Creative and original contribution to public financial management and/or governance or demonstrated new thinking in how to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Achievements in new ways to realize efficiencies, improving effectiveness, increasing performance and/or provide competitive advantage
- Innovative approach to delivering high quality, accessible and clear financial reports and accounts
- Delivery of high quality financial reporting in line with accepted accounting principles that is accessible and readily understood by the public
- Innovative response to financial challenges
- Innovative approaches that utilize effective financial planning and leadership
- Transformational services that have resulted in the delivery of financial and operational advantages
- Creativity in working to achieve financial resilience against a backdrop of challenges
- Successfully improved organizational processes, systems and policies, while supporting excellence in financial reporting
- Digital projects, initiatives or programs that demonstrate outstanding and innovative approaches to improving efficiency, significant improvements in outcomes, and process achievements financial practices
Award submission information should include a full description of the innovative project or initiative and any and all supporting detailed documentation. The initiative or project can be a result of taking an existing product or service and improving it, developing a new idea, or a combination of both.
Award review will evaluate the overall impact that the innovation has had on the organization or community and whether the innovation achieved or exceeded its objectives and goals. Review criteria will include the evaluation of how the project or initiative improved such things as efficiency, effectiveness, process improvements, service delivery, transparency, etc.
The award nominee must receive the support of a majority of the KSGFOA Board to be given the award. The name of the award recipient(s) will be announced and will be recognized and presented with an award at the KSGFOA Annual Conference Business Meeting.
The KSGFOA Board will solicit nominations for this award on an annual basis although KSGFOA members may submit nominations meeting the above criteria to the KSGFOA President at any time.
The KSGFOA Board will evaluate nominees for the award. Nominated candidates not selected for the award may be considered by the KSGFOA Board for a future award.
Americans with Disabilities (ADA) Request for Accomodations
Please contact Paula at firstname.lastname@example.org or (316) 978-6678 to request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the conference. Please provide the accommodation request by Sept. 8, 2020.
Become a Member of KSGFOA
Are you a KSGFOA member? Check by e-mailing email@example.com.
Regular membership is only $50 and includes discounted conference admission, exclusive access to web content + NEW online KSGFOA communication network. Associate and Student membership also available. Become a member here
Staff Support, KSGFOA
Wichita State University Public Policy and Management Center