Flags Header

Kansas Driver's License Information for International Students

The process for obtaining a Kansas Driver’s License or Non-Driving Identification credential (“Kansas ID”) begins with a visit to a full-service driver’s license exam station. This station is commonly referred to as the “DMV”. At the DMV, you will be required to prove your identity and residence.

Take the following items:

  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019 – You will need to bring your most recent continued attendance I-20 or DS-2019.
  • I-94 – either the paper I-94 card stapled in your passport or a printout of your electronic I-94 which can be obtained from the Customs and Border Protection website.
  • WSU Shocker Card
  • Two documents to use as proof of residence/address – Some ways to prove your residence are a recent utility bill, rental agreement/contract, or Kansas school records.

The DMV representative will use these items to verify your status in the U.S. utilizing the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement System or “SAVE”. If the representative is unable to verify your status in SAVE during your first visit, copies of your documents will be made and then sent to the SAVE Coordinator in Topeka, Kansas, for a second attempt. This process may take a few days and will require you to wait for confirmation from the DMV (phone, email, or mail) that your status has been verified and that you should return to the DMV.

Complete instructions including information about driving exams, vision exams, and required fees can be found on the Kansas Department of Revenue/DMV website. Take a Practice Driver's License Test.

Please Be Aware

  • For F-1 students new to the U.S., the “continued attendance” I-20 is not issued until you have enrolled full-time and you have been registered in the SEVIS system by staff in the International Education office. This may be up to 60 days after your arrival.
  • F-1 Transfer students should present to the DMV their initial I-20 and WSU I-20.
  • F-1 students on OPT should also take their EAD (“OPT card”) to the DMV.
  • The Office of International Education will not provide any support letters or documentation for a student to obtain a driver's license in another state.

Local DMV Offices:

  • Andover/Butler County

Office Location: 640 N. Andover, Andover, KS
Phone Number: 316-733-0106
Days and Hours of Operation: Tuesday - Friday – 7 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
No testing after 4:00 p.m.

  • Wichita/Sedgwick County

Office Location: 1873 W 21st St North, Suite 42A, Wichita, KS
Phone Number: 316-337-6066
Days and Hours of Operation: Tuesday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
No testing after 4:00 p.m.