Q1: What should I do when I find a job?
- Submit the OPT Employment Form* to International Student Services within 10 days of beginning a new job.
Q2: What if I change employers or lose my job?
- Submit the OPT Employment Form* to International Student Services within 10 days of adding, changing, or terminating employment, including any periods of unemployment.
Q3: Can I have more than one job?
- A student may work more than one job while on OPT, but all employment must be directly related to the major field of study.
Q4: What if I can't find paid employment?
- If you are having difficulty finding employment, keep in mind that tutoring in your field of study qualifies as appropriate employment as long as you work full-time (at least 20 hours/week). Also, unpaid employment that is directly related to your field of study will satisfy the employment requirements. Be sure that any unpaid employment does not violate U.S. Labor Laws. For either of these situations, however, make certain to keep detailed records of the hours you work and report this as employment to WSU by submitting the OPT Employment Form.*
* These changes could also be reported via the SEVP Portal. If you choose to use the portal, there is no need to submit the OPT Employment Form.