Dr. Rajiv Bagai was born in New Delhi, India. He went to school at the Delhi Public School, at Mathura Road, New Delhi, and completed his Bachelor's in Computer Science at the Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani, India. After a 2-year stint as a Programmer/Analyst at the Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company in Mumbai, India, he went on to obtain a Master's and PhD in Computer Science at the University of Victoria, Canada. He is currently a Professor of Computer Science at the Wichita State University, USA.
He likes to teach a variety of Computer Science courses. His current research interests are in Data Privacy and Web Anonymity, but in the past he has performed research in Incomplete and/or Inconsistent Databases, Data Models, Deductive Databases, Logic Programming, and Programming Languages.
Dr. Bagai enjoys performing joint research with students of all levels, BS, MS, or PhD, and heartily welcomes new students into his research group. His friendly and hands-off style of student supervision is best suited for student collaborators with a high level of self-motivation to learn and grow. The "Publications" section below shows many of his research publications with current and former students.
He has a passion for traveling to new parts of the world, enjoys programming in various languages, playing chess, racquetball and, lately, has even taken to singing on stage! Make sure to check out some of his performance videos in the "Other Interests" section below :)
- Ph.D. Computer Science, 1990
University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
Dissertation Area: Ordinal-Theoretic Properties of Logic Programs
Advisor: Prof. Maarten H. van Emden
- M.S. Computer Science, 1986
- B.Sc. Computer Science, 1983
Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India
- Higher Secondary (Grade 11), 1977
Delhi Public School, New Delhi, India
Present & Past Research Areas
Inconsistent and/or Incomplete Databases
- Overview of Computer Science
- Data Structures
- Discrete Mathematics
- Introduction to Computer Networking
- Computer Organization and Architecture
- Operating Systems
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Formal Languages and Automata Theory
- Concepts of Programming Languages
- ARM and Intel 80X86 Assembly Programming
- Programming in C++, Java, Python
- Web Programming
- Compiler Construction
- Network Programming
- Introduction to Databases
- Multimedia Database Systems
- Database Query Processing and Optimization
- Theory of Logic Programming
- Artificial Intelligence
- Theory of Computation
- Programming Language Semantics
- Advanced Algorithm Analysis
* indicates a student co-author
- R. Bagai, E. Weber*, and V. Thammanna Gowda*. Data Sanitization for t-Closeness over Multiple Numerical Sensitive Attributes. Transactions on Data Privacy, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 191-210, 2023.
- V. Thammanna Gowda* and R. Bagai. Generating t-Closed Partitions of Datasets with Multiple Sensitive Attributes. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Cryptography, Security and Privacy (CSP), Tianjin, China, (To appear), 2023.
- V. Thammanna Gowda*, R. Bagai, G. Spilinek*, and S. Vitalapura*. Efficient Near-Optimal t-Closeness With Low Information Loss. In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Conference on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications (IDAACS), Cracow, Poland, pp. 494-498, 2021.
- (Best-Paper Award Winner) R. Bagai, S. Layton*, S. Gampa*, and K. Chandrashekar*. Maximum Diversity in Web Application User Action Privacy. In Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON), New York, USA, pp. 718-724, 2019.
- (Best-Paper Award Winner) H. Lu* and R. Bagai. Cache Enhanced Anonymity Systems Against Probabilistic Attacks. Communications in Computer and Information Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 860, pp. 323-332, 2018. (Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Computer Networks, Gliwice, Poland, Acceptance: 34 / 90 = 37.8%).
- R. Bagai, N. Malik*, and M. Jadliwala. Measuring Anonymity of Pseudonymized Data after Probabilistic Background Attacks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1156-1169, 2017.
- R. Bagai and H. Lu*. Measuring Client-Server Anonymity. Communications in Computer and Information Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 608, pp. 96-106, 2016.
- B. Tang, R. Bagai, and H. Lu*. An Improved Statistical Disclosure Attack. International Journal of Granular Computing, Rough Sets and Intelligent Systems (IJGCRSIS), vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 30-38, 2015.
- R. Bagai and K. Chandrashekar*. User Privacy Enhancement in Modern Web Applications. In Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks (CICSyN-2015), Riga, Latvia, pp. 127-132, 2015.
- R. Bagai, B. Tang, A. Khan*, and A. Samad*. A System-Wide Anonymity Metric with Message Multiplicities. International Journal of Security and Networks (IJSN), vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 20-31, 2015.
- B. Tang, R. Bagai, FNU Nilofar*, and M. Yildrim. A Generalized Data Preservation Problem in Sensor Networks - A Network Flow Perspective. In Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Wireless Sensor, Actuator and Robot Networks (WiSARN-2014, in conjunction with AdHocNow-2014), Benidorm, Spain, pp. 246-259, 2014.
- R. Bagai, B. Tang, and E. Kim*. Effectiveness of Probabilistic Attacks on Anonymity of Users Communicating via Multiple Messages. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 199-210, 2013.
- X. Xue*, X. Hou*, B. Tang, and R. Bagai. Data Preservation in Intermittently Connected Sensor Networks with Data Priority. In Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON-2013), New Orleans, USA, pp. 65-73, 2013 (Acceptance: 51 / 280 = 18.2%).
- R. Bagai and N. Jiang*. Measuring Anonymity by Profiling Probability Distributions. In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TRUSTCOM-2012), Liverpool, UK, pp. 366-374, 2012 (Acceptance: 100 / 358 = 27.9%).
- R. Bagai, H. Lu*, R. Li*, and B. Tang. An Accurate System-Wide Anonymity Metric for Probabilistic Attacks. In Proceedings of the 11th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS-2011), Waterloo, Canada, pp. 117-133, 2011 (Acceptance: 15 / 61 = 24.6%).
- N. Jaggi, U. M. Reddy*, and R. Bagai. A Three Dimensional Sender Anonymity Metric. International Journal of Security and Networks (IJSN), vol. 6, nos. 2/3, pp. 77-89, 2011.
- (Best-Paper Award Winner) R. Bagai and B. Tang. Data Caching for Enhancing Anonymity. In Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA-2011), Singapore, pp. 135-142, 2011 (Acceptance: 106 / 318 = 33.3%).
- N. Jaggi, U. M. Reddy*, and R. Bagai. A Three-Dimensional Approach Towards Measuring Sender Anonymity. In Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Workshop on Security in Computers, Networking and Communication (SCNC-2011, in conjunction with IEEE INFOCOM-2011), pp. 1011-1016, Shanghai, China, 2011.
- R. Bagai, H. Lu*, and B. Tang. On the Sender Cover Traffic Countermeasure against an Improved Statistical Disclosure Attack. In Proceedings of the 8th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC-2010), Hong Kong, China, pp. 555-560, 2010 (Acceptance: 55 / 139 = 39.6%).
- R. Bagai. Paraconsistent Database Query Languages. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computational Intelligence, San Francisco, USA, pp. 248-253, 2006.
- R. Bagai. Detecting Infinite SLD-Derivations in Definite Logic Programs. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Neural Networks and Computational Intelligence, Grindelwald, Switzerland, pp. 79-83, 2004.
- R. Bagai. Paraconsistent Domain-Relational Calculus. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Neural Networks and Computational Intelligence, Cancun, Mexico, pp. 25-29, 2003.
- R. Bagai and G. S. Randhawa*. Querying Temporal Paraconsistent Databases. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial and Computational Intelligence, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 148-154, 2002.
- R. Bagai and S. J. Kelley*. Paraconsistency in Object-Oriented Databases. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 2311, pp. 141-150, 2002.
- R. M. Bates and R. Bagai. Text Editing, Syntax-Directed Editing. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Infrastructure for E-Business, E-Science and E-Education on the Internet, L'Aquila, Italy, Electronic Proceedings ISBN: 88-85280-61-7, paper no. 197, August 2001.
- N. Tran and R. Bagai. Efficient Representation and Algebraic Manipulation of Infinite Relations in Paraconsistent Databases. Information Systems, Elsevier Science, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 491-502, 2000.
- R. Bagai. Tuple Relational Calculus for Paraconsistent Databases. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer-Verlag, vol. 1952, pp. 409-416, 2000.
- N. Tran and R. Bagai. Infinite Relations in Paraconsistent Databases. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 1691, pp. 275-287, 1999.
- R. Bagai. A Query Construct for Paraconsistent Databases. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems, Paris, France, pp. 428-434, 1998.
- R. Bagai and R. Sunderraman. Computing the Well-Founded Model of Deductive Databases. International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, World Scientific Publishing, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 157-175, 1996.
- R. Bagai and R. Sunderraman. Bottom-Up Computation of the Fitting Model for General Deductive Databases. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 59-75, 1996.
- R. Bagai and R. Sunderraman. An Algebraic Construction of the Well-Founded Model. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 936, pp. 518-530, 1995.
- R. Bagai and M. Rathi. Sets with Maximum Hamming Index. International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 169-176, 1995.
- R. Bagai and M. A. Orgun. A Temporal Paraconsistent Relational Algebra for Incomplete and Inconsistent Information. In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Southeast Conference, Clemson, South Carolina, USA, pp. 240-248, 1995.
- R. Bagai and R. Sunderraman. A Paraconsistent Relational Data Model. International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 39-55, 1995.
- R. Sunderraman and R. Bagai. Uncertainty and Inconsistency in Relational Databases. In S. Chaudhuri, A. Deshpande and R. Krishnamurthy (eds.), Advances in Data Management, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing, pp. 206-220, 1995.
- R. Bagai and R. Sunderraman. Algebraic Computation of the Weak Well-Founded Model for General Deductive Databases. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 826, pp. 90-104, 1994.
- R. Sunderraman and R. Bagai. Explicit Negation in Relational Databases. Journal of Computing and Information, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1263-1278, 1994.
- M. Rathi and R. Bagai. An Optimal Lower Bound on Congestion from Embedding Generalized Hypercubes. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference of the Chilean Computer Science Society, Concepcion, Chile, pp. 215-226, 1994.
- R. Bagai, S. Alagic, and R. Sunderraman. A Prototyping Technology for Typed Object-Oriented Software Development. In M. Ross, C. A. Brebbia, G. Staples and J. Stapleton (eds.), Building Quality into Software, Volume II, Computational Mechanics Publications, pp. 441-456, 1994.
- R. Bagai. Determining Downward Orders of Ground Atoms. In Proceedings of the 11th Brazilian Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Fortaleza, Brazil, pp. 309-319, 1994.
- S. Alagic, R. Sunderraman, and R. Bagai. A Typed Object-Oriented Database Technology with Deductive and Reflective Capabilities. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Advanced Database Technologies and Their Integration, Nara, Japan, pp. 221-228, 1994.
- S. Alagic, R. Sunderraman, and R. Bagai. Declarative Object-Oriented Programming: Inheritance, Subtyping and Prototyping. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, vol. 821, pp. 236-259, 1994.
- R. Bagai. A Dataflow Language Compilation for a Demand-Driven Machine. In Proceedings of the 20th Latin-American Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Mexico City, Mexico, pp. 1109-1119, 1994.
- R. Bagai, V. Shanbhogue, J. M. Zytkow, and S.-C. Chou. Automatic Theorem Generation in Plane Geometry. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer-Verlag, vol. 689, pp. 415-424, 1993.
- R. Bagai, V. Shanbhogue, J. M. Zytkow, and S.-C. Chou. Discovery of Geometry Theorems: Avoiding Isomorphic Situation Descriptions. In O. Abou-Rabia, C. K. Chang and W. W. Koczkodaj (eds.), Computing and Information, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 354-358, 1993.
- V. Shanbhogue, R. Bagai, J. M. Zytkow, and S.-C. Chou. Discovery of Theorems in Plane Geometry. In C. F. R. Geyer and A. C. Costa (eds.), X Simposio Brasileiro de Inteligencia Artificial, Sociedade Brasileira de Computacao, pp. 155-167, 1993.
- R. Bagai, M. Bezem, and M. H. van Emden. On Downward Closure Ordinals of Logic Programs. Fundamenta Informaticae, IOS Press, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 67-83, 1990.
- R. Bagai. A Usage Count Scheme for Lucid. In J. P. Finance and A. Mili (eds.), The Role of Languages in Programming, I.N.R.I.A., pp. 62-76, 1989.
- R. Bagai. Fundamentals of Data Structures (by E. Horowitz and S. Sahni). Communications of the Computer Society of India, July 1984.
- R. Bagai. Compiler Construction: Principles and Practice (by D. M. Dhamdhere). Communications of the Computer Society of India, March 1984.
Newspaper Articles (nontechnical)
- R. Bagai. Missed Opportunities. Plains Chess-- A Quarterly Publication of the Kansas Chess Association, September 1992.
- R. Bagai. Digging into the Past. Plains Chess-- A Quarterly Publication of the Kansas Chess Association, January 1992.
- R. Bagai. Troitzky's Compositions. Plains Chess-- A Quarterly Publication of the Kansas Chess Association, November 1991.
- R. Bagai. The Saavedra Study. Plains Chess-- A Quarterly Publication of the Kansas Chess Association, September 1991.
- Wichita State University Emory Lindquist Faculty Mentor Award, Given to mentors of University-wide top 10 graduating students, 1992 - 93
- University of Victoria Graduate Fellowship, CDN $11,000/year, 1986 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90
- British Columbia Advanced Systems Institute Fellowship, CDN $9,000/year, 1987 - 88 - 89 - 90
- NATO Award, $1,500, Given to attend International Summer School on Constructive Methods in Computing Science, Marktoberdorf, Germany, 1988
Grants, Contracts, and Awards
- Kansas NSF EPSCoR, $49,983, Understanding and Mitigating Bias of AI-Based Natural Disaster Assessment Models for Rescue Coordination and Resilience Planning (Co-PI), April 2023 - May 2024
- NASA Kansas Space Grant Consortium, $76,330, Enhancing Disaster Literacy of Kansas Communities (PI), October 2022 - July 2023
- WSU President's Convergent Science Initiative Award, $300,000, Digital Platform for Great Plains Disaster Resilience (Co-PI), October 2020 - September 2023
- National Science Foundation, (Subcontracted from Azusa Pacific University), $43,967, NeTs: Small: Adaptive Data Preservation in Intermittently Connected Sensor Networks (PI), July 2011 - June 2014
- U.S. Navy Engineering Logistics Office, (Subcontracted from Acxiom Corporation), $425,292, Design & Implementation of a Web Anonymizer (PI), January 2009 - March 2011
- Boeing Defense and Space Group, $76,651, Zbra Virtual Machine (PI), June 2000 - December 2001
- National Science Foundation, $134,671, Data Models for Paraconsistent Information (PI), August 1996 - July 1998
- Boeing Defense and Space Group, $73,691, Testing and Analysis of Real-Time Code in Commercial Aircrafts (PI), March 1996 - July 1997
- Boeing Defense and Space Group, $47,815, Translation of Real-Time Legacy Code for Military Applications (PI), March 1996 - March 1997
- Wichita State University, Faculty Summer Research Award, $3,000, Uniform Treatment of Negation (PI), May 1992 - August 1992
- Wichita State University, University Research Grant, $3,300, Negation as Rational Failure (PI), January 1991 - June 1991