Interdisciplinary STEM Education Graduate Certificate
This Graduate Certificate in interdisciplinary STEM Education is offered by the School of Education at WSU. The iSTEM Education certificate requires 12 credit hours (four graduate courses). The 12 graduate credit hours for the iSTEM Education certificate can be applied towards the MED LID degree if the student chooses to become a degree-seeking graduate student
Description of Graduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary STEM Education
The Graduate Certificate in interdisciplinary STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Education is designed for STEM educators, and graduate students interested in designing and/or delivering an interdisciplinary STEM curriculum. Students in the program will build interdisciplinary academic skills in context with an emphasis on real world problem-solving, critical thinking, and career readiness.
The purpose of the iSTEM Education Initiative is to serve educators with high quality programs, resources, and research, engaging and enriching students learning of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Required Courses (6 credits):
- CI 764 iSTEM Education Entry (3 Credit Hours): Online in Fall semesters.
- CI 867 Interdisciplinary STEM Education Exit (3): Online in Spring semesters.
Sample Elective Courses (6 credits required)
- CI 758 Nature of Technology & Educational Implications (3): Online
- CI 520 Physical Science for Elementary Classrooms (3): Hybrid
- CI 788 Multimedia Production (2): Online
- CI 787 Emerging Educational Technology (3): Online
- CI 519 Mathematical Investigations (3): Online
- CI 780S Technology in the Classroom: Science (2): Hybrid
- (Any graduate level STEM related courses)
- STEM integration with all academic and cultural endeavors.
- Teacher learning and leadership in STEM education.
- Research on student and teacher impact.
- Dissemination and development in local, regional, and global arenas.
- 5E inquiry-based STEM Instruction
- STEM challenges and practices
- Online STEM interactive simulations
- Basic robotics as STEM challenges
- Educational apps for STEM Education (i.e., Google Science Journal, Google Classroom, etc.)
- Innovative STEM educational technologies (i.e., AR, VR, Google Expeditions, etc.)
- STEM lessons aligned with NGSS
- Questioning strategies for integrated STEM instruction
- Scaffolding strategies for integrated STEM instruction
STEM Outreach for Teachers & Students
Dr. JaeHwan Byun, STEM/Online Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Mara Alagic, STEM/Math Education at email@example.com
*Gainful Employment Disclosure Information for Interdisciplinary STEM Education Graduate Certificate
iSTEM Education at WSU