Shortened time from Para Educator to Teacher of Record
Earn field experience credit for work as Para Educator
Flexible program of study
Collaboration with local community colleges and technical schools
Online Delivery (with some online meeting sessions at specified dates/times)
The Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Unified/Elementary Education is available
through various pathways:
All General Education Requirements Completed Degree Plan
No Previous Degree Plan
WSU TAP Licensure Progression
KSDE Elementary Education Pilot License
*If you hold an Associate of Arts or Science degree from a Kansas community college or technical school your degree plan may look different. Please contact a TAP advisor at email@example.com.
Licensure Options for Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Unified/Elementary Education
Licensure options with this degree include:
- Early Childhood Unified (Birth - 3rd Grade)
- Elementary Education (K - 6th Grade)
- Early Childhood Unified AND Elementary Education (Birth - 3rd Grade, K - 6th Grade)
1. Complete the WSU TAP Applicant Information form. Continuous employment with classroom instructional responsibilities as a para
educator in a school serving students up to 6th grade.
2. If you've NEVER been a WSU student: Apply to Wichita State University meeting the Adult Learner or Transfer requirements. Click on the APPLY NOW button at the bottom of this page. When asked “Are you interested in an Online Only program? Select "Yes" and then choose “Online Only – Early Childhood Unified-Elementary Education Apprentice- TAP” from the drop-down menu. If you have questions or issues with the application, please contact a TAP advisor.
If you've been a WSU student: Students last enrolled at WSU as a degree-bound student
more than two (2) years ago or who received a bachelor's degree from WSU must have
their status reactivated with the Office of the Registrar. Reactivate your file. Please notify a TAP advisor indicating that you are reactivating your account and which semester or 8 week period
you plan to enter the program.
3. Complete placement assessment indicating readiness for foundation courses (English Comp 1, College Algebra, etc.) OR provide official transcripts with the completion of required general education coursework or transfer hours with a 2.00 GPA. If you do not meet the required 2.00 GPA, please contact a TAP Advisor to discuss your options.
4. References: Complete the Reference Request form with names and contact information for three references who are qualified to address your professional skills, communication skills (oral and written), and your potential for success as a classroom teacher and as a student in this program.
5. Certificate of Health: Provide proof of a completed Certification of Health for School Personnel or TB test (K.S.A. 72-5213) or verification that this has been completed per your employer**. Please submit this completed form or verification to WSU College of Applied Studies by fax (316) 978-3302.
6a. Criminal Background Check: Provide verification of a completed Criminal Background Check.
- Option #1: Provide a copy of current Substitute License. Please submit copy to WSU College of Applied Studies by fax (316) 978-3302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Option #2: Provide a copy of recent background clearance with Validity, NATSB, or district requirement. Please submit copy to WSU College of Applied Studies by fax (316) 978-3302 or email email@example.com.
- Option #3: Validity Screening Solutions - Submit the Validity online background request form with payment within 10 business days from the date of the Teacher Ed. Application.
Verification Form: Please use the following form if you are unable to obtain a copy of your Certificate
of Health and/or Background check from your district. Please submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax (316) 978-3302.
**Requirements per district may vary. Please contact Wichita State University College of Applied Studies for approval of acceptable alternative forms.
You can view the progress of your admission status by visiting wichita.edu/onestop and clicking on Track My Progress. Learn more about how you will be notified of your admission decision.