Clinical Mental Health Counselor to School Counselor Graduate Certificate Program
Clinical Mental Health Counselor to School Counselor graduate certificate program provides students in the 60-credit hour clinical mental health counseling (CMHC) track, former students who have graduated from the CMHC degree track, and Licensed Professional Counselor practitioners the opportunity to obtain the courses needed to meet the academic requirements for school counselor license in Kansas. School counseling licensure will have the potential to provide additional career opportunities and promotion to the students who hold the certificate. Students with degrees less than 60 hours may be required to take additional courses beyond this certificate to meet the credit hours required for licensure by the Kansas State Department Education licensing requirements for school counselors in Kansas.
- Evidence of having completed a master’s degree in counseling,
- Cumulative graduate GPA: 3.250 in required courses for the prerequisite graduate degree;
- Have completed CESP 821, CESP 815, CESP 822 and CLES 810 or equivalents with a grade of B- or better.
- References: Two professional references.
Students seeking the clinical mental health counselor to school counselor licensure graduate certificate will be either currently enrolled students in the counseling program’s clinical mental health counseling degree track or non-degree A status students, who are returning to complete the school counselor licensure requirements. All Graduate School policies related to admission will apply to students admitted under non-degree A status to pursue the transition from clinical mental health counselor to school counselor graduate certificate.
Students who are currently admitted to the Graduate School and Counseling program need to complete the online Declaration of Intent to Pursue a Graduate Certificate form. Formerly admitted students to the Graduate School and Counseling program who have not attended WSU in the last 2 years should first reactivate their student account before declaring their intent to pursue a Graduate Certificate. Because of changes in program requirements, periods of non-enrollment may result in the need to complete an application for readmission to the program. Contact the Graduate School at (316) 978- 3095 to determine if readmission is needed instead of reactivation.
Students who have not been previously admitted to the Counseling program and Graduate School will need to apply for admission.
- CESP 804 - Foundations of School Counseling
- CESP 856 - Practicum in School Counseling
- CESP 949A and 949B or CESP 949C - School Counseling Internship (prereq: CESP 856)
These courses make up the total 12 credit-hour requirement for the LPC to SC Certificate.
A cumulative graduate GPA of 3.000 for all courses comprising the certificate program is required. No grades below a C (2.000) are allowed in certificate program courses.
- Students must notify the program area, in writing, of intent to complete the certificate, if it was not completed as part of admission
- In the semester the certificate requirements are met students must:
- With graduate advisor, prepare and submit to the Graduate School a plan of study for the certificate.
- Submit to the Graduate School an application for the certificate along with a $25 filing fee.
Deadlines are no later than the 20th day of fall or spring semester, or the 10th day of a summer term.