School Leadership License (Building Level) Certificate
The WSU Building Level Licensure in Educational Leadership is a 15-21 hour, one-year
program. Instruction focuses on developing and practicing administrative knowledge,
skills and competencies in applied learning settings. In the fall and spring semesters,
students enroll in Leadership Seminar classes and one Building Level Leadership Practicum
class. Seminar and practicum classes meet on WSU's Main Campus on Monday evenings.
The seminar and practicum classes at the WSU campus prepare students for applied learning
in the field. Under the supervision of a mentor (usually your building principal)
and a WSU Faculty Advisor, students engage in active learning each semester through
completing practicum hours at their K-12 school site. The combination of graduate
coursework and guided practical application provides WSU Educational Leadership students
with valuable opportunities to learn through experience what it is to demonstrate
excellence as a building level leader.
The program coursework prepares a student for the PRAXIS licensure exam required by the State of Kansas for application for Building Leadership endorsement. Completion of the PRAXIS licensure exam with a passing score is required by the State of Kansas for a candidate applying for Building Leadership endorsement. Students who wish to pursue school leadership licensure in a state other than Kansas are encouraged to visit the following website: https://www.ecs.org/50-state-comparison-school-leader-certification-and-preparation-programs/ and to contact the licensure board in the state in which they intend to practice to determine specific state requirements that may vary from Kansas requirements.
- CLES 801 Introduction to Educational Research (3)*
- EL 813 Introduction to Educational Leadership and School Finance (3)
- EL 816 Building-level Leadership Practicum I (3)
- EL 833 School Law and Personnel Management (1st 8 weeks) (3)
- EL 853 Leadership for Special Populations (2nd 8 weeks) (3)
- EL 846 Building-level Leadership Practicum II (3)
- EL 831 Diversity and Social Justice (3) *
* Applicants who have prior coursework in social justice and diversity and educational
research can have those courses evaluated and possibly waived resulting in a program
of 15 credits. Applicants who need these courses may take them in the summer or online
When applying for admission to the certificate program for School Leadership License (Building Level), you must submit to the Graduate School:
- Master's degree in a in an education related field (e.g. curriculum and instruction, school counseling, etc.)
- A completed graduate school application
- Official transcripts with 3.00 GPA for the last 60 hours
You must also submit the following items to the Department:
- Three Reference Report Forms: one from a supervisor and two professional peers that attests to the applicant's potential as a building principal/leader
- Evidence of professional licensure for a role in the public/private schools and at least one year of accredited experience. The Kansas State Department of Education requires 5 years of professional experience in order to qualify for a school leadership license
- A resume or curriculum vita of educational and professional experience
- A statement of professional goals related to licensure as a public school administrator
- A letter signed by a building principal indicating he or she is willing to serve as the student's mentor and will allow the student to fulfill the practicum requirements of the program
Upon receipt of this information, the departmental screening committee will make recommendations concerning admission decisions for the certificate program for School Leadership License.
You can view the progress of your admission status by navigating to Step 5 here. Click here for information on how you will be notified of your admission decision.
Background Check Requirement
Upon admission and prior to their first semester, all students admitted to the Educational Psychology program must clear a criminal background check. Click here for instructions. Gainful Employment Disclosure Information for Building-Level Leadership/Principal Graduate Certificate
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Gainful Employment Disclosure Information for Building-Level Leadership/Principal Graduate Certificate