Esra Büyüktahtakιn Toy
Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, Wichita State University
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Florida, 2009
- M.S., Management Science, Lehigh University, 2007
- M.S., Industrial Engineering, Bilkent University, 2005
Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy’s research interests focus on optimization, mixed-integer programming, and dynamic programming with traditional and non-traditional applications of OR in environment, sustainability, and health-care.
Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy has recently moved to New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) as an Associate Professor of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Department (https://web.njit.edu/~esratoy/).
Former PhD student and SOAL member Dr. Eyyub Kibis will be joining to Huether School of Business at the College of Saint Rose, Albany New York, as a tenure-track Assistant Professor starting Fall 2017. Congratulations to Eyyub, who has been an amazing teacher & scholar!
Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy has been awarded tenure and promoted to Associate Professor at Wichita State University on 4/6/2017.
Congratulations to Eyyub Kibis, who successfully defended his PhD Dissertation Examination on 4/6/2017. His dissertation is titled as "Optimization Approaches to Biological Invasions and Cancer."
Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy wins the NSF CAREER Award (CBET- #1554018) for her project titled "CAREER: Dynamic Invasive Species Control Optimization Via Integrated Education and Research (DISCOVER)" co-funded by the CBET/ENG Environmental Sustainability program and the Division of Mathematical Sciences in MPS/NSF, Feb, 2016.
- NSF CAREER Award "recognizes and supports the early career-development activities of teacher-scholars, who are most likely to become the academic leaders of the 21st century."
- This program is the "NSF's most prestigious award for new faculty."
Research Award: Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy wins Dwane and Velma Wallace Award for Excellence in Research in May 2016. Award Picture with Dean Bowden Royce:
Award picture with Dr. Victoria Chen, INFORMS, Nov 1, 2015, Philadelphia, PA
* Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy's first paper with first doctoral student graduate Halil Cobuloglu (A Mixed-Integer Optimization Model for the Economic and Environmental Analysis of Biomass Production) won the 2015 INFORMS Best Publication Award in Environment and Sustainability!
* This award is given by the INFORMS Energy, Natural Resources, and Environment (ENRE) Society to the best refereed publication selected as a result of a competition among nominated journal papers in environment and sustainability. Nominated publications are judged with respect to impact and originality.
*2015 INFORMS Subdivision Awards, ORMS Today 13(1), 55, February 2016.
Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy and her collaborator from Biological Sciences Dr. Greg Houseman received USDA AFRI grant for the project titled "Integrating Modeling And Field Experiments To Guide Weed Management In Rangeland Systems", October 2015.
- Congratulations to Halil Cobuloglu for his new job as a Senior Research Analyst at McKinsey & Company, Boston, MA, 2015.
- Congratulations to student Emmanuel des-Bordes for passing his oral Doctoral Dissertation Proposal examination successfully on July 29, 2015.
- Congratulations to student Halil Cobuloglu for passing his oral Doctoral Dissertation Defense examination successfully on April 30, 2015.
- Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy's research paper co-authored with Cole Smith, Joseph Hartman, and Shangyuan Luo (Parallel asset replacement problem under economies of scale with multiple challengers) has been selected as a featured paper in the IE Magazine of the IIE, March issue, 2015 (Related article: Mixed-integer programming for asset replacement).
- Research paper with PhD student Halil Cobuloglu on “Food vs Biofuel: An Optimization Approach to the Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Land-Use Competition and Environmental Impacts”, has been accepted for publication in Applied Energy (impact factor: 5.261), in November 2014
- Congratulations to student Ning Liu for receiving the Dora Wallace Hodgson Outstanding Master’s Thesis Award on September 22, 2014.
- Congratulations to student Halil Cobuloglu for passing his oral Doctoral Proposal examination successfully on September 4, 2014.
- Congratulations to student Emmanuel Des-Bordes for receiving the best paper award for his study "Optimal Replacement Strategies for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning Machines with Energy Concerns", at the International Conference on Agriculture, Environment and Biological Sciences (ICFAE’14) on June 5, 2014.
- Congratulations to student Halil Cobuloglu for receiving the WSU outstanding doctoral student award on May, 2014.
- Congratulations to student Ning Liu for passing his oral Master Defense examination successfully on November 18, 2013.
- Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy has been elected as INFORMS Junior Faculty Interest Group (JFIG) Vice President/President-elect, May 2013.
- Congratulations to PhD student Halil Cobuloglu, who received the second place in the Best Oral Presentation competition in Graduate Research and Scholarly Projects (GRASP) Symposium at Wichita State University, May 2013.
- Congratulations to student Rajesh Kumar Narasimhan for passing his oral Master Defense examination successfully on May 2, 2013.
- Congratulations to students Rajesh Narasimhan, Halil Cobuloglu and Tanner Lampe, who received the first place in the IIE Professional Chapter Best Graduate Project Competition in Engineering Open House at WSU for their project titled as "Controlling the Invasion of Sericea Lespedeza with Limited Budgets: Insights from an Optimization Model", April, 2013.
- Congratulations to PhD student Halil Cobuloglu, who received the first place in the IME Best Graduate Project Competition and the second place in the IIE Professional Chapter Best Graduate Project Competition in Engineering Open House at WSU for his project titled as "A Mixed-Integer Optimization Model for the Economic and Environmental Analysis of Biomass Production", April, 2013.
- Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy received the NSF EPSCoR First Award for the project titled "Navigating the Fine Line between Economic and Environmental Impacts of Biofuel Production", 2012-2013.