Mechanical Engineering Faculty
Hamid M. Lankarani
Professor and NIAR Senior FellowMechanical Engineering
Wichita State University
Research Groups : Mechanical Systems and Robotics/Control
- Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering , University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, August 1988
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, December 1983
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering ,University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, December 1981
Dr. Lankarani has over 30 years of teaching and research experience and is one of the world's leading researchers and educators in the field of impact dynamics, mechanical systems analysis and design, automotive and aircraft crashworthiness, occupant protection of transportation systems, structural impact, and injury biomechanics. He is a Fellow of the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Dr. Lankarani is the recipient of many international, national, and university educational and research awards. He has been awarded over 10 million dollars of funding for research projects from the US government, state, industry, and international sources. Dr. Lankarani has directed over 300 graduate student MS theses and PhD dissertations, and has been the author of over 400 articles in referred journals, books and book chapters and conference proceedings. His publications have been cited over 2100 times. Dr. Lankarani has served as a Technical Editor or a member of Editorial Board for several international journals.
Dr. Lankarani has been teaching at WSU Department of Mechanical Engineering since August 1989. He has developed and taught many undergraduate and graduate classes in the design stem of the department, and his courses are some of most populous courses in the College of Engineering. He is passionate about teaching, and treats his students as members of his extended family. Over the years some of his former students have achieved significant accomplishments in their careers, including:
- Choon Ng, 1996 MS, 1994 BS, previously a Crash Safety scientist a Nissan Corporation, Inventor of Rainbow Loom (a $M60/YR company)
- Deren Ma, 1993 PhD, President, Cherry Automotive Worldwide, China
- Khalid Raza, 1992 MS, Originator of Cisco Center at WSU, Distinguished Engineer at Cisco Systems, Retired from Cisco Systems at age 32, Distinguished Technologist at HP, Founder and CTO of Viptela Networking Co., San Jose, California
- Rajiv Menon, 1995 PhD, R&D Director, Dorel Juvenile Group, Columbus, Indiana
- Hamid Beheshti, 2004 PhD, Professor and Chair, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
- Olivares, Gerardo, 2001 PhD, Director of Crashworthiness Research, NIAR, WSU
Basam Al-Shaer, 2000 PhD, Professor, Jordan University of Science & Technology, Jordan
Shashishekar Shivaswamy, 1997 PhD, Manager, Airbus, Bangalore, India
Chandra Kompalli, 1994 MS, founder of Global Information Systems, Inc. Detroit, Michigan
Mahesh Swamy, 1996-MS, Manager, Chrysler Corp., Detroit, Michigan
Hari Nagarajan, 2008 PhD, 2008 MS, Manager, Space-X, Los Angeles, California
Visnu Ramalingham, 2001 MS, Business Manager of Ford Engineering Technology Services, India
Soma S. Dhara, 2001 MS, Manager, BE Aerospace, Miami, Florida
Alan Adams, 2000 MS, PhD 2002, Manager, Spirit Aerosystems, Wichita, Kansas
Radhika Vaddepati, 2003 MS, Manager, B/E Aerospace, Tucson, Arizona
Raju Tumarada, 2003 MS, Manager, Gulfstream, Savannah, Georgia
James Gross, 2009 BS, 2012 MS, Production Manager, Space-X, Los Angeles, California
Automotive and Aircraft Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection of Transportation Systems, Biodynamics, Injury Biomechanics, Multibody Dynamics, Structures, Impact Dynamics, Mechanical Systems Analysis and Design, Computer-Aided Design
- Engineering Mechanics - Statics and Dynamics
- Machine Dynamics
- Design of Machinery
- Multibody Dynamics
- Numerical Analysis
- Mechanical Engineering Design
- Computer-Aided Analysis and Design of Mechanical Systems
- Advanced Computer-Aided Analysis and Design of Mechanical Systems
- Impact Dynamics
- Injury Biomechanics
- Huculak, R.D., and Lankarani, H.M., “Methods of Evaluating ES-2 Leg Flail in Dynamic Evaluation and Certification Tests of Side-Facing Aircraft Seats,” International Journal of Crashworthiness, Paper No. IJCR-S-15-00075, 17p. Online version: [DOI: 10.1080/13588265.2015.1076585].
- Umstead, C., Tay, Y.Y., and Lankarani, H.M., “Multibody Modeling of an Internal Gyroscopic Micro-mechanism for Development of Lateral Deviation of a Projectile,” Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics, Special Issue on Multibody for Mechanisms, Paper No. JMBD 14-0090, 11p, March 2015. [DOI: 10.1177/1464419315573132].
- Nedukanjirathingal, S.K., Yihun, Y., and Lankarani, H.M., “Finite Element Analysis and Vibration Testing of a Simple Replicate Beam-Type Aircraft Wing with and without Secondary Structure Attached,” International Journal of Aeronautical Science & Aerospace Research (IJASAR), Paper No. IJASAR-15-01-14, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 27-38, 2015.
- Tay, Y.Y., Bhonge, P., ND Lankarani, H.M., “Crash Simulations of an Aircraft Fuselage Section in Water Impact and Comparison with Solid Surface Impact,” International Journal of Crashworthiness, Paper No. IJCR.909, Vol. 20, N0. 5, pp. 464-482, 2015. [DOI: 10.1080/13588265.2015.1033972].
- Patil, S., and Lankarani, H.M., “Simulation Study of Spot Weld Material Configurations for Crash Analysis,” Journal of Applied Mechanical Engineering, Paper No. Engr-14-695R1, Vol. 3, No .4, 2014. [DOI: 10.4172/2168-9873.1000149].
Publications , Google Scholar Link