IMC studies prepare students for the field of advertising, public relations, marketing and related creative media. The courses emphasize strategy and writing skills that build understanding of how creative promotional campaigns are produced for businesses and consumers. Researching, creating, writing, editing and organizing are essential elements for excellent marketing campaigns. Students majoring in IMC are poised for the advertising/marketing/public relations field to work with media, do market research, work for a for-profit or non-profit business or pursue a career with advertising agencies.
All students majoring in Communication must complete the Communication core courses.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR IMC MAJORS
- 324 – (3) Introduction to Integrated Marketing Communications (COMM 301)
- 450 – (3) IMC Strategy
- 502 – (3) Public Information Writing (COMM 301, Junior Standing)
- 525 – (3) Advertising Copywriting (COMM 301, 324, 450)
- 626 – (3) Integrated Marketing Communications Campaigns (COMM 324, 525)
- Plus THREE hours of upper division communication electives selected in consultation with adviser.
- MKT 300 – (3) Marketing
- MKT 405 – (3) Consumer Behavior
Students must fill out a request form from the Barton School of Business to enroll for MKT 300 and MKT 405. Ask your adviser to help do so.
SAMPLE JOB TITLES
|Account Executive||Advertising Copywriter|
|Advertising Manager||Chief Advertising Executive|
|Chief Communication Executive||Creative Director|
|Chief Public Relations Executive||Manager of Internal Communication|
|Projector Coordinator||Marketing Communications Specialist|
|Product/Brand Manager||Media Buyer|
|Media Relations Manager||Business to Business Sales|
|Trade Show Manager||Public Relations Manager|
|Sales Promotion Manager or Coordinator||Director of Communications|
|Director of Public Relations||Strategist/Analyst Researcher|