PAdm 785: Public Works Administration
3 Credit Hours
- Understanding the background, tasks, and work environment of the public works professional
- Understanding the relationship between public works organizations and general government administration.
- Understanding fundamental public works policy, planning, and project analysis tools.
- Understanding basics of public works procurement, purchasing, and contract administraion.
- Understanding of major functional areas involving public works.
- An introduction to public works administration and management. Includes discussion of public works professionals; public works organizations and institutions; infrastructure planning, policy, and project analysis; procurement, purchasing, and contract administration; geographic information systems; and transportation, water, waste water, and surface water system construction, maintenance, and replacement.
Major Topics Covered:
- Public Works and the Role of Infrastructure
- Public Works Professionals and Organizations
- Civil and Structural Engineering and Construction
- Public Works Information Systems
- Public Works Policy, Planning, and Project Anlysis
- Public Works Procurment, Purchasing, and Contract Administration
- Public Facilities, Vehicles, and Equipment Management
- Stree, Road, and Highway Design and Traffic Safety Management
- Pavement Construction and Maintenance
- Street Sanitation and Snow and Ice Control
- Storm Water Management
- Water Supply, Treatment, Storage, and Distribution
- Wastewater Collection, Treatment, and Discharge
- Solid Waste Collection, Recycling, and Disposal