The Community Psychology PhD Program
The community psychology doctoral program at Wichita State University offers educational, research and practice experiences in real world community organizations and uses an apprenticeship model of education, giving students extensive experience in community research and practice work groups led by faculty mentors.
Educational experiences with community organizations include:
- Strategic planning and visioning with government facilities, human service coalitions, and consumer run organizations;
- Developing, implementing and evaluating innovative programs in prevention, as well as in traditional human services
- Community-based organizations focused on substance abuse prevention, health issues, youth programs, community environmental issues and many other areas.
- Program of research and training to promote patient-centered care giving in gerontology and medicine .
- Learn more about practicum settings: recent Community Psychology practica
Classroom experiences emphasize:
- Theoretical foundations in several core areas of psychology including: social/developmental, cognition/learning, personality/individual differences and the biological bases of behavior;
- Methodological foundations in multivariate analytic techniques including multiple regression, factor analysis, and structural modeling;
- The action research model serves to integrate theory and practice.
- Classroom experiences are interactive and focused on community psychology competencies.
- Learn more about curriculum: Community Psychology program: curriculum
Wichita provides a rich setting for our program. As a public university WSU has long-established ties to the core leadership of our human service organizations, our medical and educational training facilities, and local business community.
Our graduates have found employment as researchers at NIH, as faculty members at leading universities, as directors of local agencies, and as innovators in human service organizations throughout the region and nation.
For more information:
Interested in applying to our program? Have more questions? Want to be put in contact with a current student or faculty member? Please fill out this short Information Request Form and someone from our Community Psychology Program will get in touch with you.
Or you can contact the Community Psychology Doctoral Program Coordinator:
Charles Burdsal, PhD
Professor & Coordinator
Community Psychology Doctoral Program
Department of Psychology
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount, Box 34
Wichita , KS 67260-0034