Honors Community News
How2Heal Logo and Art Competition
As announced in last week's update, Honors student Ngoc Vuong has been awarded $5,000 by the Wichita Community Foundation to start his mental health initiative, How2Heal. Now Ngoc needs your help!
- How2Heal is hosting a student design competition to select their logo. Learn more about submitting here.
- As part as of their mission to address substance abuse and mental issues with creativity, How2Heal is also hosting an art contest called PhotoVoice. The selected submissions will be exhibited as qualitative data on mental health and substance abuse in the Wichita community. Learn more about submitting here.
WHEAT Invites All Students
- Make Spring Cards for Senior Citizens on April 15th - WHEAT will be making spring-themed cards for the Vintage Park Senior Center! Stop by on Monday, April 15 from 3:00 to 4:00 P.M on the north side of the RSC to participate in this community service event. All are welcome! Earn volunteering hours towards the Honors is a Verb challenge. Meet Honors students. Make a senior citizen happy!
- Board Game Night April 22nd - Join WHEAT for a board game night on Monday, April 22nd from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. in RSC 258. Feel free to bring friends, whether they are in the Honors College or not. Food and refreshments will be provided.
- Pi Promo T-Shirt Sale: Wear Your Honors College Colors with Pride - Take advantage of WHEAT's limited t-shirt sale! Use the promo code "pi" at checkout to receive 3.14% off your purchase. Place your order now! Wear your Honors College colors (maroon and silver) with pride. The new 2019 t-shirt design will soon replace this one, so make sure to grab one while you can.
Apply to be a Summer Research Institute (SRI) Peer Mentor by April 15th.
SRI in FYRE is hosted on the WSU main campus June 2-6, 2019. SRI Peer Mentors will assist with camp preparation during the months of April and May. The SRI Peer Mentors will serve as a mentor, lead team building activities, help an incoming fellow Shocker transition into college life, participate in research alongside the campers, and assist the SRI team with other activities the week of the camp. If you have an interest in research, helping students explore their interests in research, and are looking for a short term paid position -please apply.
Apply to be an Honors Ambassador by April 26th
The Cohen Honors College is looking for engaging students to serve as Honors Ambassadors. As an Honors Ambassador, you will assist the Cohen Honors College at various events and activities throughout the year by interacting with prospective and current students, university faculty and staff, and alumni. Over the course of the year, you will volunteer approximately 10-15 hours in a variety of ways including mingling with students and parents at programs, serving on panels and hosting information tables.
To learn more about being an Honors Ambassador, the benefits and to submit your application, go to wichita.edu/honorsambassadors. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. Friday, April 26. If you have questions, please contact Trish Gandu at email@example.com.
Faculty and Staff Invited to Join Honors Student Council Diversity Training April 25th
The Honors Student Council is hosting the Office of Diversity and Inclusion's "Diversity in the Workplace" training during their regular meeting on Thursday, April 25th 5:00-6:00 p.m. in 112 Hubbard Hall. Honors faculty and staff are invited to attend to build our conversation about diversity and Honors.
Nominations for the Honors Faculty Mentor Award due by May 1st.
The Honors College Student Council is accepting nominations from current honors students for the Faculty Mentor Award. Which professor has made your honors experience more meaningful? Let us know! Please fill out the nomination form by May 1st.
Faculty and Staff Opportunities - National Collegiate Honors Council
Professional development opportunities abound this summer with NCHC! Find honors-focused training on teaching and learning, experiential education, advising, program assessment, and so much more created by trusted professionals from the honors community. Which stops will you add to your honors roadmap this summer?
- Faculty Institute Destination: Cooperstown, NY. Registration Deadline: April 15
- Honors Advising Institute Destination: Orlando, FL. Registration Deadline: May 1
- Best Practices in Honors Assessment and Program Review Destination: Lincoln, NE. Registration Deadline: June 14
Honors Office News
Honors Advising Appointment Protocol
To schedule an Honors Advising Appointment email Honors@wichita.edu or Jessica.Raburn@wichita.edu. If you happen to be in Hubbard Hall or nearby when a question occurs to you, please feel free to stop by to see if the Honors Academic Advisor can visit with you immediately.
Assistant Director and Academic Advisor
The Dorothy and Bill Cohen Honors College
Office Hours of the Dean
Students Welcome to Walk-in: Thursday 2:00-3:30.
By Appointment: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit us in 113 Hubbard Hall through summer 2019.
Have More News?
To submit a story to the Weekly Update fill out this form.
Follow the Honors College on Twitter for more news and update